Recommendations for Teaching in the HIVES
Before Class Starts
- Design activities that meet your learning outcomes and take advantage of the space.
- Decide what technology you will and won’t use.
- Take an incremental approach to changes in teaching.
- Visit the room to familiarize yourself.
First Day of Class
- Communicate your philosophy about teacher and student roles.
- Articulate expectations for student-instructor and student-student interaction.
- Inform students that you will solicit their feedback.
During Class Sessions
- Direct student attention during class.
- Set aside time for large group interaction.
- Ask for student feedback early in the semester.
- Don’t be afraid to rearrange the furniture.
Adapted from: Peterson, C. I., & Gorman, K. S. (2014). “Strategies to address common challenges when teaching in an active learning classroom”.