|Effective Date:||May 10, 2016|
|Downloadable Version:||Flag Policy and Procedure|
|This document is available in alternate format on request.|
This policy is intended to establish clear guidelines to be followed with respect to the flying of flags on the College campus.
This document is available in alternate format on request.
This policy shall apply to the flying of all flags on Campus property at The Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning and The University of Guelph-Humber (hereinafter referred to as “the College” or “Humber”). It is applicable to the exterior Flag poles located on Spruce Vista, North Campus and in front of the Welcome Centre, Lakeshore Campus.
1. All flags on campus shall be flown at half-mast for one day on the following dates:
1.1 April 28, Workers’ Mourning Day
1.2 June 23, National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism
1.3 Last Sunday in September, Police and Peace Officers’ National Memorial Day
1.4 November 11, Remembrance Day
1.5 December 6, National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
2. Except as provided above, the flying of any flag other than the Canadian, Provincial and Humber College flags on campuses shall be subject to the prior approval of the Office of the President and CEO or the Associate Vice President, Administrative Services.
3. Flags shall be flown at half-mast as a mark of respect, on the day of the funeral or burial, upon the death of any of the following:
3.1 the Sovereign or member of the Royal Family, the Governor General, the Prime Minister, the Lieutenant Governor or the Premier;
3.2 the Member of Parliament or Member of the Ontario Legislative Assembly for the riding in which the school is located.
4. Upon request and with permission of the family, flags shall be flown at half-mast as a mark of respect, on the day of the funeral or burial, upon the death of any of the following:
4.1 any person employed by the College at the time of his/her death;
4.2 any person enrolled as a student at the College at the time of his/her death;
4.3 any person serving as a member of the Board of Governors at the time of his/her death.
1. Upon notification, the Office of the President and CEO or the Associate Vice President, Administrative Services shall determine when the Flag(s) should be lowered to half-staff.
2. The Office of the President and CEO or the Associate Vice President, Administrative Services shall notify the Department of Public Safety to lower the Flag(s).
3. The Office of the President and CEO or the Associate Vice President, Administrative Services shall inform the Department of Communications who, in turn, shall notify the College of the reason for a Flag being lowered the day prior to the day it is lowered.
4. The Department of Public Safety shall raise the Flag(s) following the official time of mourning.