Canada is set to become the first G7 country to take the bold step of legalizing cannabis at the national level. While the federal legislation sets out strict requirements in several key areas, each province had broad leeway in how they will implement retail distribution, home growing, and other non-criminal code related issues. This workshop will provide an opportunity for participants to learn about cannabis as a recreational drug, the international drug-control treaties Canada is a party to, the framework of the proposed federal legislation, and a clear picture of what the regulated cannabis market in Ontario will look like. For Humber College, this issue impacts our faculty, staff, and students in an untold number of ways, but many people lack in-depth knowledge of the issues or where to access reputable resources. This workshop will help you better understand exactly what the future holds for cannabis in Canada.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand the key components of Bill C-45, the federal legalization legislation.
- Evaluate the impact of previous legalization efforts on other jurisdictions.
- Conceptualize the various international obligations and pressures impacting Canadian legalization efforts.
- Differentiate between the approaches of different provinces towards cannabis retailing.
- Estimate how cannabis legalization will impact them and their communities.