The Humber Arboretum is proud to host a local session of the LEAF (Local Enhancement and Appreciation of Forests) Tree Tenders Volunteer Training program, beginning next week.
Ever wonder about the number one threat to the survival of newly planted trees? What tree species are best for clay soils? How can you help the tree canopy in your community? Through this multi-day course, LEAF's expert instructors deliver engaging indoor and outdoor sessions that will answer your questions and give you skills you can apply immediately in your own yard and/or neighbourhood.
LEARN the basics of trees from expert instructors.
CONNECT with other tree lovers.
BE INSPIRED to become an urban forest leader in your community!
During this multi-day course you will be introduced to the language of the urban forest. Beginning with the more the basic concepts, LEAF's instructors will guide you through more advanced theories and information on:
- Tree biology, anatomy and functions
- Trees and soils
- Tree identification
- Identifying and managing tree stresses
- Tree planting and establishment
- Tree care and maintenance
- Municipal bylaws and policies
- How to get involved in urban forest issues
Cost: $80 plus HST - includes all classes and course manual. Payment cannot be refunded or deferred to future courses.
Eligible participants who attend all four classes have the option to receive 12.00 ISA Continuing Education Units (CEU's).
- Tuesday Sept 18, 6:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Thursday Sept 20, 6:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Saturday September 22, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Tuesday September 25, 6:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Where: Centre for Urban Ecology, Humber Arboretum (behind the North Campus)
For registration and full details visit the LEAF website: yourleaf.org/tree-tenders-volunteer-training
LEAF Tree Tenders training is a great opportunity for:
- Humber College and UofGH students who are interested in becoming an Arboretum Ambassador
- Staff and community members who want to support the growth of Toronto's urban canopy
- Home gardeners who would like to improve their tree knowledge
- Certified arborists seeking ISA Continuing Education Units