Many of the awards and scholarships that students receive at Humber are made possible by private donations made from Humber faculty, staff, retirees or alumni, friends and organizations.
It is important to thank those who made your award possbile. Please take a few minutes to prepare a letter of thanks for your donor. We know our donors look forward to receiving these letters of gratitude each year.
Here are a few tips to assist you:
- It is important to personalize your letter with your donor’s name (company name or person).
- When thanking your donor you are encouraged to make your letter personal by adding in information about yourself and how this award will help you meet your future educational goals.
- All letters should be sent to the Advancement Office. We will share them with the donors.
- In submitting your thank you letter you are authorizing your name, award name as well as any quotes taken from your thank you letter to be used in future stewardship materials.
Should you have any questions about your donor name or contact person, please contact us at 416.673.0152 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sample Donor Thank You Letter
c/o Advancement and Alumni
205 Humber College Boulevard, Learning Resource Commons 5th Floor
Toronto, ON M9W 5L7
I am the recipient of [name of the award you received] and I would like to thank you for your generous support.
[Tell the donor a bit about yourself, why you chose your field of study, your positive experience in your program, your goals and your plans for the future.]
[Tell the donor why this award/scholarship is appreciated. See examples below]
[Thank the donor again, letting them know how much the award is valued. See examples below]
[Your Typed Name]
In your letter, it is important to tell the donor a bit about yourself, why you chose your field of study, your positive experience in your program, your goals and your plans for the future. In addition, you may wish to use some of the following suggestions in your letter.
If the donor name is not given:
Please address your letter "Dear Supporter" if you do not know the name of your donor or if they are referred to as anonymous.
Why this award/scholarship is appreciated:
- Donors such as you make Humber an even more rewarding place to go/have gone to school.
- This award definitely inspires me to reach my goals in life and to give it my all.
- This award has inspired me to believe that I can move forward with my dreams and make them a reality.
- Your contributions to Humber help support students like me and make the college a nurturing environment in which to study.
- This award will serve as an inspiration in my current studies as well as in my future undertakings. I will continue to work hard and give my best to my studies.
- Because of this award, I may have an additional opportunity to get a rewarding job.
- This award means a lot to me as it opens up many opportunities. Receiving this award only boosts my motivation towards achieving my goals.
- It means a great deal to me to have my achievements recognized and celebrated.
If you have experienced difficult or challenging financial circumstances:
- It is an honour to be recognized for my achievements especially under challenging circumstances.
- This gift alleviates some of the financial pressure that I and many students have been recently experiencing.
- Especially during these challenging economic times, this gift makes so much of a difference.
- Your gift has given me peace of mind and will allow me to concentrate on my studies rather than worry about my finances.
Expressions of thanks:
- Thank you for everything you do. I am fortunate to have people like you devoted to supporting students in their studies and career development.
- Thank you so much for recognizing my achievements.
- Two words: Endless gratitude.
- Amazed. Inspired. Grateful. That’s how your generosity makes me feel.
- You’re a lifesaver. Literally. And thanks for believing in someone you don’t even know.
- Again, thank you for your generosity. Your support will truly contribute to my academic success.