Humber College’s Office of Sustainability is responsible for managing and promoting sustainability programs, initiatives and events at Humber’s three campuses.
The Office of Sustainability is looking for a passionate, motivated, and organized student to help us complete the Good Food Challenge. The Good Food Challenge leverages the power of youth and post-secondary campuses to create a sustainable, community-based, socially-just, and humane food system. Amidst a sea of confusing labels, certifications and claims about sustainability and ethical purchasing, the Good Food Challenge offers campuses a comprehensive and decisive definition for Good Food, sets a high standard upheld consistently among institutions, and supports users in tracking their progress.
Dates: July 8, 2019 – August 23, 2019 for 35hrs/week (8 weeks flexible during summer 2019).
Location: North Campus
Pay rate: $16/hr
Reporting to: Reporting Meal Exchange’s National Good Food Campus Lead and Humber College’s Sustainability Specialist
Deadline: Will look until we find the right candidate.
- Work with Humber College’s Office of Sustainability, Meal Exchange, and other partners to complete the Good Food Calculator at Humber College to determine the percentage of food on campus that is humane, fair, ecologically-sound and community-based
- Conduct quantitative research
- Provide feedback to Meal Exchange’s Good Food Campus Lead
- Join in online meetings with students from across Canada
- Support Meal Exchange communications by writing one blog about Good Food on your campus and sharing one photograph on social media
- Write a final report on your key learnings and Good Food campus recommendations
- Interest in food systems
- Highly organized, motivated and detail-oriented
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Familiar with how change happens on campus and well connected to faculty, administrators, and staff
- Strong communication and facilitation skills (previous experience with facilitation/organization is helpful but not required)
- Solutions focused
In this role, you will gain:
- Experience working in an office setting, through individual and team work
- Time and project management skills
- Business awareness and knowledge of sustainability/environmental/social issues
- Knowledge on corporate sustainability practices and management
Please include a cover letter and resume and email application to firstname.lastname@example.org. References will be contacted if shortlisted.