Did you know 80% of the bottled water we buy end up in landfills? 1
The ‘Take Back the Tap’ campaign aims to educate the Humber community about the negative impacts of single-use plastic bottled water, and encourages the use of tap water in reusable bottles instead. Our goal is to reduce the overall consumption of plastic bottled water on campus, and eventually be among the eleven Ontario post-secondary institutions who have successfully become bottled water free. Help Humber College join the list!
Why should you care?
- Plastic waste generated by single-use plastic bottled water adds to the 18 billion pounds of plastic that ends up in the ocean each year 2;
- Small fragments of PET plastic release toxins which pollutes our oceans and soil, and sickens humans and animals3;
- Our safe and high quality municipal tap water is tested and monitored frequently4;
- Clean drinking water is a basic human right, not a commodity.5
What can you do?
- Use reusable alternatives to plastic.
Replace your everyday plastics with metal/bamboo straws, metal or glass water bottles, and cloth bags
- If you can’t reuse it, refuse it.
Say no to single-use plastic bottles, straws, plastic cutlery, and plastic bags.
- Join the movement, and pledge to #TakeBackTheTap below!