Toronto, Ontario – Humber College was named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers by MediaCorp Canada for the third year in a row. The Greenest Employer award recognizes employers that lead the nation in making environmental values part of their organizational culture. Humber is one of only four colleges in Canada to make the 2018 list of greenest employers.
“This designation recognizes Humber’s ongoing work in creating a culture of environmental awareness and responsibility on campus,” said Lindsay Walker, Manager, Office of Sustainability. “We are proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers 2018 and we will continue to work toward being sustainable in everything we do.”
Humber has committed to ensuring that all new college buildings will be constructed to meet LEED Platinum standards. Through aggressive environmentally focused planning which began in 2014, Humber is on track to reduce energy consumption by almost 10 per cent and water consumption by 40 per cent by the end of this year.
- Sustainability is an integral part of Humber’s culture and community, with initiatives that include:
- A new multi-deck 1,000 car parking structure at Humber’s North Campus, scheduled to be completed in spring 2018, will house the largest solar panel installation at an Ontario college.
- The new Barrett Centre for Technology Innovation is targeting LEED Platinum certification and targeting net-zero energy function as a result of the solar panels on the parking structure.
- Lakeshore Campus was the first Ontario college campus to be awarded a Fair-Trade Campus Designation.
- Humber was the first Ontario College and the third in Canada to receive a Silver STARS™ designation in 2013.
- The parking garage at the Lakeshore Campus Student Welcome and Resource Centre contains a publicly accessible Level 2 electric vehicle charging station for two cars. Additional stations are scheduled to be installed at the North Campus in 2018.
- In 2017, Lakeshore Athletics Centre and Lakeshore Welcome Centre buildings both achieved LEED Silver certification and the G Building Centre for Entrepreneurship retrofit and expansion was constructed to LEED Silver principles.
To learn more about Humber’s long-term sustainability vision and goals and to view the 2014-2019 Humber Sustainability Plan, visit humber.ca/sustainability.
About Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
Established in 1967, Humber College is a global leader in polytechnic education. Combining in-depth theoretical learning and hands-on experience with applied research and extensive industry connections, Humber provides career-focused education to 31,000 full-time and 23,000 part-time students across three campuses. The college offers a comprehensive range of credentials including honours undergraduate degrees, postgraduate certificates, diplomas, apprenticeships and certificates. More than four out of five Humber graduates are employed within six months of completing their studies. Visit humber.ca.
For more information, please contact:
Media Relations and External Communications Specialist
Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
416.675.6622 ext. 5479