It is easy being green.
We are proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. Humber College is featured in today’s Globe and Mail, along with our fellow environmentally friendly employers.
This recognition singles out organizations that lead in creating a culture of environmental awareness, have created earth-friendly initiatives and attract people to work for them because of their environmental leadership.
“We are very excited about this achievement. It’s great to be recognized for what we’re doing and it energizes us to keep moving forward to make sure we are being sustainable in everything we do,” says Lindsay Walker, Humber Sustainability Manager.
Over the past few years, we have brought a number of green initiatives to our North and Lakeshore campuses. They include:
- Bus Loop at the North Campus for more than1,200 buses daily
- Carpool matching program and preferred carpool parking
- Bee hives at both campuses
- Furniture donation from campus renovations (128 metric tons to 59 charities)
- Bike repair stations and secured bike parking
- Created the Humber Academic Sustainability Committee and Humber Communication and Engagement Sustainability Committees
- Campus clean-up day
- Buildings built to LEED Silver standard, including the Lakeshore Learning Commons and North’s Learning Resource Commons
- Collection drives for batteries, used pens, lightbulbs and more
- Environmental and outdoor education camps through the Humber Arboretum and Centre for Urban Ecology
- Organic garden and greenhouse
Humber Sustainability is hosting a celebration of the announcement today from 11 to noon in the North E building concourse.
Can’t make it? Watch the livestream instead!