Skip to content
  • students consulting a financial advisor


You may apply for OSAP online or you can fill out a paper application, which is available for printing from the OSAP website.

How to Apply for OSAP

Once an admission offer to a full-time program has been confirmed, students can apply for the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) to help pay for school. Additional information about OSAP can be found below and on

To be eligible for OSAP a student (or their parents/spouse/sponsor) must have been a resident of Ontario for at least 12 months in a row up to the beginning of the study period applied for and not be enrolled in full-time postsecondary studies during this 12-month period.  

A student also must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada (landed immigrant or a protected person)
  • Have applied for an approved postsecondary program
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 60 per cent of a full course load (40 per cent for students with a with a documented disability with the Department of Accessible Learning Services)

The loan amounts students are eligible for depends on education costs (e.g. tuition and books), living costs, expected personal financial contribution and family support/parental income. For an estimation of the loan amount students are eligible for, use the Aid Estimator tool on the OSAP website.

Part-time students may be eligible to apply for a student loan if specific criteria are met. More information is available on the OSAP website or by contacting Humber's Financial Aid Office.

  • Apply for OSAP online at Ensure all information is accurate.
  • Submit all of your required supporting documentation. You can submit online via your OSAP application, via email to or in person at the Financial Aid Office.
    • Typical documentation for 1st time submissions include but are not limited to:
      • Signature Pages (student & parent)
      • Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) *more information about MSFAA located further below*
  • Verify all your outstanding requirements have been satisfied (check your status online).
  • The Financial Aid Office will Confirm your Enrollment, no earlier than 15 days prior to the start of your study period
  • Funds will be deposited electronically by the National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) to your bank account in the first two weeks of your study period (as long as you have followed the above steps and have submitted your application 1 month prior to classes starting).
  • You can manage your student loan by registering via for your National Student Loans Service Centre On-Line Services Account. Additional information can be found in the section below.

The federal and provincial governments have implemented a lifetime loan agreement that will cover the student for the duration of their time enrolled in full-time postsecondary studies. This lifetime loan agreement is called the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA).

New for 2017/2018* Student can submit their MSFAA online! Please note that students who have already completed a paper MSFAA in past do not need to complete a new one online.

Please follow this link for more information related to this new process:

When you receive OSAP funding, your loan is managed through the National Student Loans Service (NSLSC).

Students should register for an NSLSC On-Line Services Account so they can easily manage their student loan.

To register, go to and click on the National Student Loans Service On-Line Services link.

Here are some reasons why you should get an On-Line Services Account:

1. Digital Communications available through your secure NSLSC On-Line Services Mailbox:

  • Funding Confirmation messages
  • Updated End of Study Date messages
  • Period of Study End Date Reminder messages

2. Get access to the following items through your NSLSC On-Line Account:

  • T4A Tax Slips
  • Your Loan Statement
  • Income Tax Receipt (for interest paid on your loans

3. Update Your Enrolment Status Through your NSLSC On-Line Account

Submit a Confirmation of Enrolment request to your school so that your loan(s) remain interest-free while you study.

4. Update the following items through your NSLSC On-Line Account

  • Email address
  • Mailing address
  • Other contact information

5. Customize Your Repayment Terms

Use your NSLSC On-Line Services Account to increase or decrease your monthly payment amount.

6. Apply for Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP) Online

If you qualify for the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP), you will have reduced or no monthly payments for up to six months at a time.

Confirmation of Enrollment for full-time students will begin no earlier than 15 days prior to the study period start date of each respective term. Students must ensure that their applications are completed in full at least 1 month prior to their study period start date, to prevent any delays from occurring with their funds release.

If you are a full-time student but do not want to take OSAP funding / are unable to take OSAP funding due to restrictions, you may be eligible to be interest and payment free from your previous OSAP loans, for the duration of your full-time program at Humber College.

In order to do this, you will need to submit a Continuation of Interest Free Status request.

This request can be done online via your OSAP portal: You can also submit a request for this through a paper form: You can submit it to the Financial Aid Office once the form is completed.

Both the online request and paper request and processed by the Financial Aid Office in the order they are received.

Here are some other important OSAP application terms and best practices that you should keep in mind:

Ontario Residency

To be considered an Ontario resident, you must meet one of the following residency criteria:

  • You have always resided in Ontario, or
  • Ontario is the last province you resided in for 12 consecutive months without being a full-time postsecondary student.

In certain circumstances, you can meet Ontario residency requirements on the basis of the residency of your spouse (if applicable) or parent(s) (if applicable)

Student Income Information

When reporting income for January to December, remember to give the breakdown of that total for the following three periods:

  • January to April
  • May to August
  • September to December

When reporting income for your study period, you must include your total estimated income for the entire study period. (e.g. September to April)


"Dependent" means that you:

  • Are single (you have never married or been in a common-law relationship)
  • Have no children
  • Wish to return to full-time postsecondary studies less than two years since graduating from high school
  • Have been out of high school for less than four years before the start of your study period

Parental Income

When completing the parent(s) income section, students must use the figures from their parents' Tax Returns - T1 General or Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

To prevent OSAP loan overpayments and Income Verification Restriction, students must report their income accurately on the OSAP application and any income/status changes during the academic year to the Financial Aid Office.

Crown Ward

A Crown Ward is someone who has lived with foster parents under the auspices of the Children's Aid Society.

If you have received OSAP anytime during your study period (s), this OSAP Repayment Webinar is for you!

Here you will get information about:

  • Debt Management
  • Debt Reduction
  • Repayment Options
  • Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP)
  • Interest Free Periods

Please click the following link to view the webinar on demand:


  • It is your responsibility to contact the National Student Loan Service Centre to let them know what your student status is and to consolidate your loan. It is very important that you keep in contact with your lender.
  • You should be inquiring as to what you need to do in order to keep your record in good standing with the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (MAESD) and your lender.
  • To maintain or build good credit, you must keep your OSAP file up to date.
  1. To maintain full-time OSAP eligibility, students are required to remain enrolled in a minimum 60% of a 100% course load during their OSAP-funded study period (or minimum 40% of a 100% course load for students with a permanent disability).*
  2. Students are required to pass minimum 60% of a 100% course load during their OSAP-funded study period (or minimum 40% of a 100% course load for students with a permanent disability).*
  3. Report any changes to your study period income estimate in writing to Financial Aid.
  4. Notify Financial Aid of any changes to your student status (e.g. changes to course load, withdrawing, etc.). Include your Humber student number on all correspondence.

*Important! A student’s minimum course credits required for OSAP purposes may vary by semester within a program. The minimum course load percentage you must enroll in and pass is calculated based on the total credits associated with your enrolled semester. You must meet the above OSAP Requirements to maintain funding eligibility. Contact Financial Aid at or 416.675.6622 ext. 4245 if you are unsure about your course load by credit calculation.

You were issued OSAP funding and did not maintain satisfactory academic progress for OSAP purposes for one or more of the reasons below:

  1. Your course enrollment dropped below the required minimum 60% of a 100% course load during their OSAP-funded study period (or 40% of a 100% course load for students with a permanent disability)*,
  2. You did not pass a minimum 60% of a 100% course load during your OSAP-funded study period (or 40% of a 100% course load for students with a permanent disability)*,
  3. You have changed your program of study too many times without earning a credential, or
  4. At a previous institution, you were issued OSAP funding and did not maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Academic progress for OSAP purposes is reviewed for each student at the end of each OSAP study period. Your academic progress standing is based strictly on the course load percentage of courses you earning a passing grade during your OSAP study period; your OSAP academic progress is not based on your grade point average (GPA). The OSAP academic progress policy may differ from your Humber faculty academic progress policy. 

For the first instance of academic probation, you will receive a warning. You can complete the OSAP Acknowledgement of Academic Probation Form, upload it as a supporting document to your OSAP application, and you will be eligible for future OSAP funding. If you had medical or extenuating circumstances, explain this in your letter and attach supporting documentation, so we can remove the warning from your OSAP profile.

For the second instance of academic probation, you may be restricted from receiving OSAP funding. For more information, please contact a financial aid advisor at

The following information has been provided by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.

Grant information and application forms are only available through the Ontario Government website. Application forms are not submitted to Humber.

You are eligible if you are:

  • A full-time student at a public college or university in Ontario
  • In a program that you can apply to directly from high school
  • A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a protected person
  • An Ontario resident, and
  • It’s been less than four years since you left high school
  • Your parents' gross income is $160,000 or less

How to Apply

If you already receive OSAP, you don’t need to do anything. You will automatically be considered. If eligible, the grant will be deposited directly into your account or mailed to your school-year address.

If you do not currently receive OSAP, you can apply online. Before starting, you'll need:

  • parent(s)’ Social Insurance Number(s) (SIN)
  • your own Social Insurance Number (SIN) 
  • The information from Line 150 from your parent(s)’ 2010 Canadian Income Tax Return(s).

To complete the application, you need to do the following:

  • Go online at
  • Register for an OSAP Access Number
  • Fill out and submit the online application form
  • Print the signature pages – you need to sign one and your parent(s) will also have to sign one (pages may be submitted separately)
  • Mail or fax the signed pages to:

Humber College Financial Aid Office
205 Humber College Blvd, D133
Toronto, Ontario M9W 5L7

Fax: 416-675-1002

Q1. What are the hours of the Financial Aid Office?

Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.

Q2. What are the phone and fax numbers for the Financial Aid Office?

  • North and Orangeville Campuses – P: 416-675-6622 ext. 4245 F: 416-675-1002

  • Lakeshore Campus - P: 416-675-6622 ext.4245

Q3. Where is the Financial Aid Office located? Do I have to book an appointment?

The Financial Aid offices are located in the registrar’s office – LRC, Level 1 (North Campus) and WEL 106 (Lakeshore Campus). You do not have to book an appointment, but you must get a number at the Welcome Centre Information Desk and wait till your number comes up on the screen.

Q4. What is the OSAP website address?

Visit the OSAP website to apply for OSAP and check the status of your application.                     

Q5. I can’t get into the OSAP website because I forgot my PIN or password. How do I get into it now?

You can go to the Financial Aid Office at any college or university and they will reset your PIN. You MUST bring your valid Canadian government-issued photo ID and SIN card OR letter with social insurance number from Service Canada.

Q6. I am eligible to receive the Canada Study Grant for students with dependent(s). When and how do I receive this?

Your grant will be deposited to your bank account electronically once Humber confirms your enrolment in full-time studies.

Q7. What is required to be eligible for OSAP?

  • You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada (landed immigrant or a protected person.)
  • You and/or your parents, spouse or sponsor must be a resident of Ontario for at least 12 months in a row up to the beginning of the study period applied for and not be enrolled in full-time postsecondary studies during this 12 month period.
  • You must have applied for an approved postsecondary program
  • You must be taking at least 60 per cent of a full course load (40 per cent for students with a permanent, documented disability)

Q8. If I am a part-time student, can I receive OSAP?

No. To be eligible for OSAP you must be carrying at least a 60 per cent course load (40 per cent for students with permanent, documented disability). You may be eligible to apply for Part-Time OSAP if your program is OSAP Approved and you meet the specific criteria. You can get more information about this on the OSAP website or contact the Financial Aid office during their office hours.

Q9. Why do I have to enter my parents’ information when they are not supporting me and/or I do not even live at home?

The Ministry expects your parents to make a contribution to your education if you have been out of high school less than four years unlessyou are married, separated or a sole support parent or have not been a full-time student for two years or more. Your assessment will be based on their income as well as your own resources. If you have questions about this, you can speak with a Financial Aid Advisor. You can also get more information about the criteria for receiving OSAP on the OSAP website.

Q10. I received a “Notice of Re-assessment.” What does this mean?

If you are a current student you should visit the Financial Aid office for an explanation. If you are no longer a full-time student, contact Financial Aid by telephone (416) 675-6622 ext. 4245.

Q11. I have applied for OSAP but was not approved. Can you tell me why?

There are many reasons why this could be happening:  

  • Are you in default from a previous loan?
  • Did you apply at another institution?
  • It may be based on your, or your parents’/spouse’s income or your assets.
  • There may be errors on your application

We suggest you check your file on the OSAP website first. You can visit the Financial Aid office for assistance if you cannot identify the problem.

Q12. I have children. What proof do I have to present to OSAP to qualify?

All supporting documentation required is listed in the application online and depends on your marital status. You must read and follow the instructions precisely.

Q13. I did not get enough OSAP to cover my books, rent and food. How can I get more?

You will have to speak to a Financial Aid Advisor in person to review and discuss your OSAP assessment.   

Q14. When do I have to start paying back my OSAP loan?

Six months after you complete your program, become a part-time student, or drop out of school. You must keep in touch with your lender (bank/National Student Loans Service Centre – NSLSC- (1-888-815-4514) at all times. Your lender will be corresponding with you before the six months are up but it is your responsibility to notify them of any change of address or status.

Q15. I am NOT currently a student and am not working/or working for a very low salary. How can I defer repayment of my OSAP loan?

The Repayment Assistant Program is described in detail on the OSAP website at: or contact the lender (NSLSC) at 1-888-815-4514.

Q16. I received a letter from the Ministry that my application cannot be processed due to an error. What is the error and how do I correct it?  

Contact the Financial Aid office or access your file on the Ministry system to check the error messages.

Q17. How do I apply for OSAP?

Apply on the web at or print a paper application. Submit your completed paper application to the Financial Aid Office.

Q18. When should I apply for OSAP? What should I do first? Apply for OSAP or apply to Humber or apply for my courses?

  • You should apply for your program first at
  • You may apply for OSAP after you have been approved for a program at the college. Apply at least by July 15th. Applications should be available late March/April but the Ministry usually does not assess applications until late June or early July. If you applied for OSAP at more than one institution you must go online and cancel your application at the other institution(s) before your OSAP will process your application for Humber.

Q19. When I apply on the web, how and when will I know if I am accepted?

First, you must print your Consent Declaration and signature pages from the web or ask the Ministry to send them to you if you are unable to print them. You will receive your signature pages from the Ministry in approximately seven days. You may be required to provide supporting documentation (e.g. proof of citizenship, marriage, separation/divorce papers, affidavit and child tax benefit). This must be sent to the Financial Aid office at Humber or you can scan signature pages and any supporting documents to a PDF file and upload these pages to the website.

You must also print your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) form and complete your banking information or attach a void cheque or direct deposit slip. Sign this form and take it to a designated Canada Post outlet. You must present your SIN card and a valid Canadian Government issued photo ID to the staff at the Canada Post. You will be able to see your assessed amount on the web within seven to 10 business days. Note: The Ministry normally starts assessing the applications late June or early July.

Q20. I applied for OSAP on a paper application through the Financial Aid office, how and when would I know how much money I will receive?

Within a week you should check your status on the web, via phone or at the Financial Aid office in person. We do not release information about the amounts over the phone as this information is confidential. (The Ministry may adjust a student’s assessment as their information changes.)

Q21. Can I fax or photocopy the web signature sheet and send it to the Financial Aid Office?

Yes. However, the fax copies must be legible. You can also scan and email the form to Make sure you send it to Humber College or the institution you are going to attend. Do not send it to the Ministry in Thunder Bay.

Q22. I was accepted for OSAP at Humber College but now I am going to another institution. Can I transfer my OSAP to that institution?

No. You must cancel your OSAP application on the web, contact the Financial Aid office in person, fax or mail a request in writing to cancel your OSAP at Humber. Then you will have to reapply at the other institution.

Q23. I am changing from one program to another at Humber College. Can I transfer my OSAP to that program?

Yes, but you must advise the Financial Aid office. If the tuition fee, book costs and study period end date are different from your first program you may be reassessed.

Q24. When do I get the second (40 per cent) portion of my OSAP funds?

At the beginning of your second semester. 

Q25. I got OSAP last year. Do I have to reapply each year?

Yes, but if you are a returning student entering the second, third or fourth year of your program, you must complete the "Renewable Application Form" on the OSAP website.

Q26. I am currently in school but not receiving OSAP. How can I get Interest Free Status on previous OSAP loans while I am in school?  


The NSLSC told me I had to pick up a form at the college. Where do I go for that?

You need to complete a Continuation of Interest Free Status (CIFS) form. This can be downloaded from the OSAP website or obtained at Financial Aid when you are in full-time attendance. Remember to bring your valid Canadian government issued photo ID and SIN card to Financial Aid Office to process your CIFS form.

Q27. I am not eligible for OSAP because my previous loans are in default. How do I become eligible again?

For instructions, contact the NSLSC repayment department at 1-866-788-0288 and ask for directions on how to obtain clearance.

Q28. I was approved to receive OSAP. How do I get the money?

During Orientation week the Financial Aid office will confirm your full-time enrolment with the Ministry, who will then authorize the National Student Loans Service Centre to release your OSAP funds to your bank account within seven business days.

Q29. When and how can I apply for a tuition bursary?

As of June 1 (new and returning students). Applications for the tuition bursary are available for students who have been accepted to a program at Humber and can only be accessed on the web. Visit MyHumber, log in, then click on "Student Awards and Financial Aid" and follow the instructions to complete the Interactive Budget Calculator for your study period (for example, September to April).

Q30. I am married and have no income. How do I complete my budget on the Interactive Budget Calculator?

Enter the expenses for the entire household and your spouse’s net income as a resource under Family Contribution.

Q31. Are there any scholarships available and how can I apply for one?

There are 2 types of Entrance Scholarships:

  • The first requires an Application: Information and application for this Entrance Scholarship available on the Humber College website at:

The second Entrance Scholarship is based on Academic Excellence: Students eligible for this Entrance Scholarship will be chosen based on their academic record before coming to Humber and will be notified if they have been awarded the $1,000.00 scholarship prior to the fees due date, or prior to the start of the semester.

Q32. I lost my SIN Card, what do I do?

Visit your local Service Canada Office to apply for a new card and you will get a letter with your Social Insurance Number, or provide a copy of your Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency or CPP Statement of Contribution.

Q33. My OSAP money is not available until after school starts. How do I pay my tuition fees by the fees due date?

The remaining tuition fees are due by September 21st. Late fee of $100 will be charged if full tuition fees are not paid by the due date. It is your responsibility to make sure that you have paid the required $500 deposit and that you are registered in at least 60% course load (40% for students with permanent disabilities) before August 15th.

Q34. What is a non-refundable Tuition Fee deposit and how does it work?

The non-refundable fee deposit $500 for domestic students are due prior to the end of June. The full amount is applied to tuition and it allows you to register and obtain your class schedule for fall. Also Financial Aid staff will be able to confirm your enrolment with OSAP so that the full 60% of your funding will be deposited to your bank account.

Q35. If I have been attending school since September and I am continuing through the summer, do I need to apply for OSAP again?

No, once you have an offer set up for full-time studies through the summer, you must see a Financial Aid Advisor to determine eligibility and to extend your OSAP funding for summer. 

Q36. I am switching from part-time studies to full-time studies, what is the process?

First you must apply to for full-time studies, then apply for OSAP once you have received your acceptance.

Q37. My step-parent is refusing to contribute to my education costs, what do I do?

Visit the Financial Aid Office on campus to obtain the necessary information for step-parent refusal.

Q38. My parents are separated, which one do I list on my OSAP application?

You must provide information for the parent you currently live with, or whom you last lived with, if you move closer to Humber College to attend school.

Q39. My parent's income is lower this year than it was last year, how do I notify the Ministry?

Print a Request for Lower Estimated Income form from the OSAP website. You and your parents must complete this and return it to the Financial Aid Office with the required supporting documents for processing.

Q40. What is considered an asset, and how does it affect my OSAP funding?

Investments such as Mutual Funds, Stock, Bonds Term deposits, Tax Free Savings Account and any rental properties. These amounts are used as a direct resource in the OSAP assessment.