Come together with a group of students and create a solution to an education challenge for the YMCA Academy. *Get paid to learn, create, and compete for prizes!
What you need to know:
- What: Work in a team to solve a unique challenge for our partner the YMCA Academy and help make education more accessible!
- Why: Learn and practice innovation skills; Find a really meaningful solution and have an impact; Compete for prizes; and Get paid $325 each upon successful completion of the weekend!
- Where: Online, through Zoom and Google classroom.
- When: Collaborate from October 22-October 24. Finalists will be invited to present their ideas to a live panel on October 27
- Who: Open to current Humber and Seneca students who are Canadian citizens or PR and eligible to work in Canada.
About the Challenge
Calling all changemakers! We are looking for students from any subject area and level to take part in this innovation marathon.
The challenge provided will be in the theme of the UN Sustainable Development Goal #4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
All teams who complete the challenge will submit a video pitch. A panel of experts from the presenting partners will evaluate the submissions and award prizes to the most innovative, impactful, and viable proposals.
*Please Note: The ticket cost of $5 will be refunded if you complete the event. All students will be compensated a total honourarium of $325 for completing the weekend event. Check eligibility below.
Friday October 22
|6:30pm||Welcome from the CfE and Seneca HELIX|
Welcoming remarks and challenge introduction from the YMCA Academy
|7:30pm||Team introductions and activities|
|Saturday October 23|
Workshop: Systems thinking and human-centric design
|1:00pm||Workshop: Creating a persona to understand needs and break down assumptions|
|Sunday October 24|
Workshop: How might we and brainstorming
|1:00pm||Workshop: Pitching your solution|
Video submissions of your pitch are due by Sunday October 24, 8pm.
All students who submit a video pitch will recieve a certificate of completion and an honourarium. A panel of judges will select finalists to compete in a live pitch on October 27 for additional prizes.
About our Partner
The YMCA Academy is a Ministry of Education–inspected, alternative school in downtown Toronto. Inspired and supported by the YMCA of Greater Toronto, our personal differentiated approach, specialized programs, and individualized use of assistive technology is ideally suited to students with mild learning disabilities or learning style differences.
Students who complete the event will receive a $325 honourarium. Eligible students:
- Are registered in a postsecondary education institution
- Are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or persons to who refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- Are legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Must complete an onboarding module before beginning the experience.
*Please Note: The ticket cost of $5 will be refunded if you complete the event. All students will be compensated a total honourarium of $325 for completing the weekend event.