Current Issues & Bugs:
The following are known issues with this feature in Blackboard Ultra. For workarounds and estimated fix timelines please refer to the Blackboard Ultra Issues and Workarounds document.
- Unread Messages – Old courses that you no longer have access to indicate that you have unread messages. Blackboard is working to resolve this.
- Messages – When responding to a Message within a course, you can’t see the student’s message after you start typing your response so you lose context.
- No spell check – In Messages, there is no red wavy line to indicate spelling errors.
You can use Course Messages as an alternative to email when communicating with your students. Course Messages remain in the course. You can receive notifications of received messages, but you must return to the course to read and respond to messages.
Note: Unlike in Blackboard Original, you can’t hide Course Messages from students. You will need to clearly communicate your preferred method of communication.
To send a course message:
- In the navigation bar, select the Messages. The Messages page will open up.
- In the top right corner of the Message page, select the New message icon (plus sign). The New message panel will open up on the right-hand side.
- In the New message panel, enter the recipient and type your message in the message box.
- If you want to send an email copy of a course message, select Send an email copy to recipients. Email copies are delivered if recipients have valid email addresses in their Blackboard profiles. Recipients can read your message in their email, but must return to Course Messages to reply.
- If you don’t want recipients to reply to the message, deselect the checkbox for Allow replies to this message.
- Select Send to send your course message.