The overall grade is similar to a running Weighted Total column in Blackboard Original in that it is a calculated item that you build to show students a running tally of all the items that you grade and post. It will create a Gradebook column for the overall grade of each student.
Note: The weighting of the overall grade must equal 100% or it cannot be saved. It is recommended that the overall grade is set up once all assessments are present in your course.
To set up the Overall grade:
- At the bottom of the Gradebook, select Set it up. The overall grade page will open up.
- Read the instructions located at the top of the screen. These instructions describe the function of each symbol within the overall grade calculation.
- If grading by category, input the correct weights of each category in their respective areas. Categories that are not being used can be exempted.
- If grading by individual items, unlink them from their associated category. This can be done by selecting the dropdown of the category and selecting the unlink icon next to the item that needs to be separated.
- The item should now have a separate place to enter it’s individual weight.
Note: The overall grade allows you to include both category and individual items in the calculation if desired.
- Once all the appropriate weights have been entered, there are additional settings to the right of the screen. Here, you can dictate whether you want overall grade calculated based on the total of points earned.
Note: If this setting is not selected, then the overall grade calculation will be a non-running total.
- You can also choose to show the overall grade to students and how it will be displayed.
- When you are finished, select Save. The Overall Grade column appears in the Gradebook next to the student’s names so you can quickly see how each student is performing.|
To override the Overall grade for a student:
- Access the Overall grade from Gradebook. A window should open which displays a list of students in the course and their Overall grades.
- Find the student that needs their grade overridden. Click inside the cell.
- Enter in their new grade. The cell should turn grey which indicates that the calculated Overall grade has been overridden by a manual entry.
- To undo the override, click inside the cell and select “Undo Override”. This removes the manual entry and populates the cell with the calculated Overall grade.