Although you can build test questions directly in Blackboard, for larger tests and question pools it can be more efficient to create your test questions externally and import them into Blackboard. There is an official Humber licensed tool for PC users only, and there are free online tools everyone can use. All are described below.
Respondus (the official Humber tool)
Respondus is the official test building tool here at Humber. It’s a comprehensive and robust tool with lots of great features. You can create your test directly in Respondus, or import your questions from a variety of file types. You can then export/import your questions, or publish directly into your Blackboard course. Because Respondus is a software program that sits on your computer, you can use it to manage all your tests.
Note: Sorry Mac users – this is a PC only tool. See the tools below for Mac-friendly options.
These resources will get you started:
- Downloading and Installing Respondus
- Using Respondus to Create Test Questions: Includes a video on how to prepare your test questions in a Word document.
Oklahoma Christian University Blackboard Test Generator (An online free test generator)
Of the various online free tools we’ve tested, this is our favourite. It’s simple, the directions are clear and available at the top of the page. There’s also a sample question generator that’s super helpful. And it’s great for Mac users! You’ll find the link below as well as a couple of tutorials on how to use it.
- Oklahoma Christian University Blackboard Test Generator – this is the link to the tool website.
- 3.5 minute brief overview – created by one of our Mac-using faculty members
- 20 minute past webinar recording – created by our team. This has greater detail and a table of contents you can use to navigate.