Record a Life Event
Learn how to perform this action in the HRMS.
An Oracle Guided Learning (OGL) flow exists for this lesson. To learn this lesson within the system, follow the steps below:
1. Log into HRMS and click on the blue Guided Learning (GL) tab, located on the right.
2. In the GL search box, type “Life Event Change – Birth of Adoption of a Child (Employee)” or “Life Event Change – Marital Status Change (Employee)”.
For detailed information regarding this lesson, please review the steps below which outline the guided learning steps plus additional information.
The purpose of this knowledge article is to show you how to record a life event.
1. Sign into Employee Direct Access (EDA) using your single sign-on ID and password.
2. Click on ‘Benefits’.
3. Click on ‘Record Life Events’.
4. ‘Birth or adoption of a child’ – Event can only be processed if it is within the past 31 days
‘Marital Status Change’ – Enter the date of your marital status change.
5. Enter the date in ‘Date This Event Occurred’ by selecting the date from the calendar drop-down box or typing it in.
6. Click ‘Save and Close’.
7. Click ‘OK’.
8. Click ‘Change Benefit Elections’.
9. Click ‘Create Contact’ and add additional dependent details.
Note: Please note that it may take up to 24 hrs for the enrollment window to open. Please ensure the Relationship Start Date is the same date as the Life Event.
10. Click ‘Continue’.
Note: If the Continue button is greyed out, please wait up to 24 hrs to enroll into your benefit plans. If unable to enroll after 24 hrs, please contact your Benefit Administrator.
11. Click ‘Continue Enrollment’.
12. Authorization text will display and then click ‘Accept’.
13. Basic Life, ADD and LTD train stop.
Note: The employee and employer portion of your Basic, ADD and LTD mandatory benefits will display. The Selected button is greyed out as these are mandatory benefits and you cannot opt out. Premium amounts are reflected on a bi-weekly basis.Hovering over the Information blue icon will display additional information relevant to each train stop.
14. Click ‘Next’.
15. Employee Optional Life train stop.
Note: Select Covered or Waive for each optional life insurance plan by clicking the Select button. If selecting Covered, please ensure to choose your desired level of coverage. Hovering over the Information blue icon will display additional information relevant to Optional Life Insurance benefits rules. An error message will appear if those rules are not satisfied.
16. Click ‘Next’.
17. Dependent Optional Life Insurance train stop.
Note: Select Covered or Waive for each Dependent Optional Life Insurance plan by clicking the Select button. Hovering over the Information blue icon will display additional information relevant to the Dependent Optional Life Insurance benefits rules. An error message will appear if those rules are not satisfied.
18. Click ‘Next’.
19. Critical Illness train stop.
Note: If selecting Covered, please ensure to choose your desired level of coverage. If you Decline the Critical Illness insurance at this point, you will not be eligible to elect the benefit unless a medical questionnaire is completed and approval from Sun Life has been granted. Hovering over the Information blue icon will display additional information relevant to the Critical Ilness Insurance benefits rules.
20. Click ‘Next’.
21. Pension train stop.
Note: Benefit premiums related to pension will not display here, but will appear on your payslip. Hovering over the Information blue icon will display additional information relevant to each train stop.
22. Click ‘Next’.
23. Review train stop.
Note: Please review elected benefits, coverage amounts and your total cost.
24. Click ‘Submit’.
Note: Only click Submit when you are ready to apply your changes. Ensure you have reviewed all options before submitting.
25. Confirmation and Benefits Summary will display.
Note: Plans will appear in a Suspended status until you have submitted your benefit, pension and/or critical illness enrollment forms to HR. Pending Actions will updated once the benefits administrator has received the enrollment forms and updated your information. Changes can be made to your benefit elections until the end of your enrollment window.
26. Click ‘Print’ to print your benefits summary.
27. Click ‘Done’.