How can we help?

On this page you will find process related information & communications, helpful tips & tricks, FAQs and more. To get started, use the search box below to search for a topic you would like information on or simply select a category below, from the left navigation bar.

Learn how to perform an action within HRMS | Administrative Forms | HR Support Centre

What do I do if I need to update or change my address to receive my T4 forms?

If you are an active employee please login to Human Resource Management System (HRMS) and verify that the address is accurate. Please visit Employee Personal Information knowledge base article to learn about the various ways you can View and Update your Personal Information.

If you are not an active employee please call the HR Support Centre to verify that the address on our file is accurate.

Contact our HR Support Centre:

  1. Call us at ext. 5001 from a Humber phone line or dial 416.675.5001
  2. Chat with us at
  3. Submit an e-form at