If you’re living with your family, a good relationship with them will make your time at Humber a lot more enjoyable.
The pressures and demands of a college education may not be appreciated by everyone in your family, so adjusting to your life at college will take some time, effort and patience on everyone’s part .
- Be willing to compromise.
- Always let someone know where you are.
- Have your class schedule and a list of the dates of major tests or assignments available for your family to see.
- Keep a list of important names and numbers where your family members can reach you if necessary.
- Even if you are a college student living at home, you’re still a member of the family. Make it home for dinner a few times a week to share a meal and catch up on each other’s lives.
- Be responsible. If you plan to be partying on-campus, don’t drink and drive . Make other arrangements – stay with some friends locally or carpool with friends . Make sure your family knows where you are .
- Respect the house rules . Even though you may be older and more independent, it is still your parents’ house – so there may be some rules you’ll just have to accept while you’re living there.
- Above all - Stay connected! The best way to have a great college experience while living at home is to get involved on campus. »