Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Can students/people smoke recreational cannabis on campus?
No. As part of the Humber smoking policy, smoking cannabis is prohibited on campus.

Can students/people consume recreational cannabis on campus?
With the legalization of recreational cannabis in October, growing, baking, smoking or selling cannabis on Humber property, including the Centre for Trades and Technology, the University of Guelph-Humber building, and Humber residences is prohibited. Additional facts about cannabis on campus can be found here.

If I live in residence, can I consume recreational cannabis in my room?
Growing, baking, smoking or selling cannabis in Humber residences is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the Residence Code of Conduct for more information. In Ontario, possession, sale to, or giving away cannabis to anyone under the age of 19 is prohibited.

Can I consume or smoke recreational cannabis at home and then come to campus?
Consumption/smoking of recreational cannabis is permitted at home. Disruptive behaviour will not be permitted on campus and the Student Code of Conduct applies to any instances of such behaviour. As always, students are expected to be mindful of the safety of themselves and others.

Why can I smoke tobacco and not recreational cannabis outdoors on campus?
Although the provincial government intends to permit the smoking of recreational cannabis in public places, Humber has the right to prohibit it on our own property. Given our plans to implement a fully smoke free working and learning environment for students, staff and faculty by January 1, 2019, we will be prohibiting the smoking of cannabis on campus.

What do I do if I see someone on campus displaying disruptive behaviour that I think is the result of consuming recreational cannabis?
You should contact the Department of Public Safety at ext. 8500 or 416.675.8500 for assistance. If you deem the situation to be an emergency, call ext. 4000.

What if I need to smoke prescribed medicinal cannabis?
Students who have been prescribed medicinal cannabis and require medical accommodation may be accommodated on a case-by-case basis and in accordance with applicable laws. Students seeking such an accommodation should visit the Student Wellness and Accessibility Centre.

What do I do if I have or develop a problem with cannabis?

 Check out these resources:

Go to the Government of Canada website to get the facts about cannabis.

Government of Canada website.

Humber Student Wellness and Accessibility Centre
Talk to a nurse, doctor or counsellor. To book an appointment, you may visit the Student Wellness & Accessibility Centre (North) or Student Welcome Centre (Lakeshore) in person or by telephone at 416-675-5090 (North) or 416-675-6622 ext. 3331 (Lakeshore).

ConnexOntario, Drug and Alcohol Helpline
Provides free, confidential and anonymous information services about drug and alcohol addiction services in Ontario, by phone, email or web chat, 24/7/365. Toll-Free: 1-800-565-8603

Is a free, confidential and anonymous helpline (24/7/365) for postsecondary students (aged 17-25) in Ontario that provides professional counselling and information and referrals on mental health, addictions and well-being. Toll-Free: 1-866-925-5454