The voluntary and explicit agreement to engage in the sexual activity in question. It is the act of willingly agreeing to engage in specific sexual behaviour, and requires that a person is able to freely choose between two options: YES and NO. This means that there must be an understandable exchange of affirmative words, which indicates a willingness to participate in mutually agreed upon sexual activity.
How to ask for sexual consent:
Ask clearly and directly! Ask at each step, for each action.
- Can I kiss you?
- Can I hold your hand?
- I'd like to try...? Are you okay with that?
- Have you ever done…? Would you like to try this with me?
- I’d like to …? What do you think?
- Do you want to slow down?
For more information about sexual consent, click on these great websites below:
- Everything You Need to Know About Consent That You Never Learned in Sex Ed
- Sexual Consent - Planned Parenthood
- What Is Sexual Consent? What Every Man Needs To Know About Consent In The Bedroom
- Consent 101- Find Your Pleasure
- Beyond Yes & No: Understanding Consent 101
- What is Sexual Consent? Voicing Consent
- Infographic: Sexual Assault and Consent