Opportunity – Sustainability Project and Research Intern
Title: Sustainability Project and Research Intern, 1 position
Dates: August 2019 – August 2021 for 37.5hrs/week.
Location: North Campus
Pay rate: $20/hr
Application deadline: Will look until we find the right candidate.
Job Description: The Sustainability Project and Research Intern will assist with project and research coordination for the Office of Sustainability.
The Office of Sustainability is responsible for managing and promoting sustainability programs, initiatives and events at Humber’s three campuses. Visit the Office of Sustainability website for more information: www.humber.ca/sustainability.
- Coordinate projects, resources and information that assist staff, students, and faculty at Humber College to make more sustainable choices
- Assist the Office of Sustainability with quantitative data collection, analysis, and reporting, including designing surveys, cleaning and analyzing data, and presenting results
- Conduct secondary research to determine best practices across institutions for sustainable alternatives to current Humber practices
- Proof-read reports and marketing material for clarity to ensure they meet our high quality communication standards
- Demonstrate a commitment to environmental, social, and economic sustainability
- Assist with other work as needed, including running the Office of Sustainability table at events occasionally
- Education in Project Management, Research, Sustainability or related
- Experience in project coordination and management (e.g. defining project scope, coordinating meetings, reporting progress, etc.)
- Some experience in research-related tasks (e.g. collecting, analyzing and reporting data)
- Sustainability minded – interest in social and environmental sustainability is an asset
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and confidently in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; provides, accepts and learns from feedback; participates in meetings
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet audience needs; able to read and interpret written information
- Team Player – works effectively on multiple projects in small teams; able to recognize and effectively utilize team members’ varying skills, energetic, enthusiastic and self-directed
- Problem Solving – Ability to define problems, collect data, and draw valid conclusions; develops creative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations
- Technical Skills – Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Survey Monkey or similar,
In this role, you will gain:
- Experience working in an office setting, through individual and team work
- Time and project management skills
- Business awareness and knowledge of sustainability/environmental/social issues
- Knowledge on corporate sustainability practices and management
Please include a cover letter and resume and email application to email@example.com. References will be contacted if shortlisted.
More about the Office of Sustainability:
Humber’s Office of Sustainability leads the college’s sustainability initiatives and is a hub for campus engagement and information. We support the college community to integrate sustainability into everything we do. Sustainability at Humber encompasses three pillars which include environmental stewardship, social equity and economic performance, and embraces the United Nation’s World Commission on Environment and Development’s definition of Sustainable Development (1987): “Meeting contemporary needs without compromising the ability of future generations to satisfy their needs.”
Sustainability is one of Humber’s five institutional values as outlined in Humber’s Strategic Plan 2019-2023, which defines Humber’s commitment to “provide national leadership in developing sustainable campuses.” The three key areas of Humber’s Sustainability Plan 2014-2019:
- Campus Footprint: To reduce our major impacts and be environmental stewards;
- Learning: To ensure sustainability is a learning outcome for all students; and
- Engagement: To create a safe and healthy campus by encouraging a culture of sustainability.
Our office is currently working on the next 5-year Sustainability Plan and we are looking for team members who will work to support our team as needed to successfully achieve our goals. Learn more about our office at humber.ca/sustainability.