Frequently Asked Questions

Select a category to filter the results.

General Questions

What do I do if I have or think I have COVID-19?

If you are feeling unwell or exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms, do not come to campus. Follow step-by-step instructions on what to do for specific COVID-19 related scenarios. 

Are Humber’s Community Employment offices operating?

All five Humber Community Employment Services Offices will continue to provide all resources and services by phone and internet until it is deemed safe to return to the community locations. Updates regarding online services are available here. When services resume at the locations this link will be updated. 

Is there financial help for students?

Humber has many scholarships and bursaries available to provide students with financial help. 

As always, financial aid information can be found on our website. Students may also email with questions or to apply for support.

In addition to OSAP, other types of student support from the government can be found here.

How often will high-touch areas (i.e. washrooms, elevators, etc.) be sanitized?

Humber has a dedicated disinfection team that will rotate around the campuses continuously disinfecting high touch surfaces. This includes door handles, railings, elevator buttons, vending machines, parking machines, drinking fountains etc.  

A product called Aegis has been applied to all high touch point surfaces, which works on a microscopic level to kill any viruses that come in contact with it. Though regular disinfecting will continue, Aegis provides another layer of protection between cleanings.

Washroom cleaning depends on location and use. For example, the washroom on the LRC first floor is cleaned hourly because of the high use, while some of the quieter locations are cleaned five times a day. 

What do I do if a faculty member is not being supportive of my need to stay away from campus because I am sick?

If a particular professor is not understanding of a student's need to stay home when they are ill, the student should contact their program coordinator or Associate Dean in order to discuss the situation.

Do I need to complete the self-screening on the Humber Guardian app every day?

As of May 2, 2022, the college’s vaccination policy will be lifted and there will not be active screening at the entry points on campus. The Humber community is encouraged to stay up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations as an added layer of protection.  

Everyone is encouraged to continue to complete the self-screening in the Humber Guardian app before coming to campus each time. As a reminder, if you are feeling unwell, do not come to campus.   

International Student Questions

When should I be travelling to Canada?

You can travel to Canada before your classes begin to give yourself sufficient time to complete the COVID-19 vaccination and/or quarantine requirements. We encourage students to arrive in Canada no more than one month before the first day of classes. If you arrive too early, you may be refused entry by the Border Services Officer. For more information, please visit: 

Is Humber on the approved list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 Readiness Plan?

We are pleased to inform you that Humber College’s COVID-19 readiness plan has been approved by the Canadian government. See IRCC’s list of DLIs with approved COVID-19 readiness plans here:  


Can I leave and re-enter Canada at a later time?

Humber does not advise that students leave Canada at this time if they plan to return at a later date.  

Starting November 30, 2021: if you are 12 years of age or older, you will need to be fully vaccinated in order to travel by air, rail or boat.  

  • Click here for more information. 

Please note travel restrictions for all countries may change with little warning. Please review current travel restrictions here:  

In order to re-enter Canada, you will have to meet the entry requirements at the time of your travels. 

What support services and mental health resources are available to me, other than the ones offered at Humber?

Post-secondary students can access:  

I applied for my study permit; can I begin my Fall 2022 studies as a new Humber student?

Fall 2022 registration begins on July 18, 2022; we are looking forward to a full and dynamic on-campus experience and are excited to welcome new and returning students to our campuses! Course-specific information about mode of delivery for fall 2022 will be available as of Monday, July 4, 2022, on MyHumber using the Academic Progress and/or Registration > Plan Ahead option.

Students studying at Humber in Fall 2022 will be required to be present in Canada and attending classes by no later than Monday, September 12, 2022.

Is Humber's International Centre open?

Our International Centre hours of operation (for in-person and online services) are as follows: 

  • International Graduate School – Monday to Friday from 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (EDT) with partial staffing. Current IGS students can reach out via the IGS Student Portal. Applicants can contact us using our contact form.  
  • North and Lakeshore Campuses - Monday to Friday from 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (EDT) with partial staffing. If you'd like to get in touch with us online, please use our contact form.
Will I be required to quarantine upon arrival?

For all required steps to travel to Humber (including covid testing, quarantine requirements, and more), please review our COVID-19 Arrival page

It’s recommended that you consult the IRCC website for travel and entry requirements.  

What options do I have for the Fall 2022 term intake? Can I defer my offer?

You may be able to defer your Fall (September) 2022 offer to a future intake. As Humber does not offer all programs during all intakes, you may choose an alternate program available. 

Unfortunately, seats in a program cannot be guaranteed if you choose to defer your Fall 2022 classes. Please visit for current information on program availability: this information is updated regularly. 

Details about Summer 2022 refunds and deferrals are posted here.

How do I apply for a study permit?

Canadian visa offices are gradually reopening. You should apply for your Study Permit online through the IRCC website.  Apply online and check your country-specific instruction guide. 

How do I complete my biometrics if the biometric centres are currently closed?

For biometric instructions please visit this website.

I am studying from my home country in Summer 2022: can I opt-out of health insurance?

The deadline to complete the Health Insurance Decision form was Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 11:59 PM (EDT). 

Completed forms are currently being reviewed and students will be contacted about their Health Insurance coverage or opt-out by mid-June 2022. Students who did not complete the form will automatically have non-refundable insurance purchased on their behalf. 

Can I add a family member to my health insurance?

For Summer 2022, you may be eligible to opt-in family members. The opt-in period is May 1, 2022 to June 15, 2022.The opt-in period is January 1, 2022 to February 18, 2022. For the family member opt-in form please follow these steps: 

  • Visit 
  • Select “Choose Your School” - Humber International 
  • Select “International Students Humber and Guelph-Humber" 
  • There is a grey box on the bottom right of the page called “Family Opt In”. This box will only be available from May 1 to June 15, 2022. 

If you and your family member(s) arrive in Canada after June 15, 2022, please reach out to us through our contact form (Choose “Current Student”/ “Health Insurance” and provide us with your arrival date in your contact form). 

What is Humber’s international refund and deferral policy for Fall 2022?

Details of the Fall 2022 refund and deferral policy are available at:

What should I do if I start studying online on or before Summer 2022 and IRCC denies my Study Permit application?

You must upload your Study Permit Decision Letter to MyHumber to notify us of your refusal. Please notify us through our contact form to advise us of the refusal and an International Student Advisor will contact you to discuss your options. 

If you receive a Study Permit refusal, please refer to Humber’s Refund Policy to determine if you are eligible for a refund.  

Please note the timelines and the last date a refund will be considered; the policy depends on your semester of studies. 

Please review Humber's refund policy at: 

What is keep.meSAFE?

Real-time support is available from keep.meSAFE via telephone and chat. Appointment-based support is available over the phone, via video and in-person. Get matched with a counsellor who speaks your language, is from your culture, or has a shared experience for any school, health, or general life concern at no cost to you.

There are a number of ways to learn more and connect:
Call or chat with a counsellor directly from the My SSP app
Call us directly at 1.844.451.9700

Download the app on App Store or Google Play

What documents do I need to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit?

To apply for a PGWP, you need to submit 

  • Confirmation of Graduation letter, and 
  • Your final transcript 

When graduation status becomes available, you can download your Confirmation of Graduation (COG) letter from MyHumber (Student > Student Records > Confirmation of Enrollment/Graduation). Once you receive your COG you can request your final transcript from your MyHumber account. 

I am in Canada as a visitor. Am I allowed to study?

Each case is reviewed on an individual basis, please complete our contact form so an International Student Advisor can advise based on the specifics of your case.

For more information, please visit: 

Can I complete my work placement from outside Canada?

Students who plan to complete their work placement from outside Canada should: 

  • Complete the International Contact Form to enquire about the immigration implications, AND  
  • Contact their placement advisor and program coordinator for more information.  
My study permit has expired, what should I do?

If your study permit expires before you apply to extend it, you’ve lost your status as a student in Canada. You may be able to restore your status if you’re inside Canada. Please fill out the contact form to speak to an International Student Advisor.

Can I start my work placement from inside Canada if I do not have my Co-op Work Permit?

Students who do not have a valid Co-op Work Permit must apply as soon as possible. You may be eligible to use your Study Permit Work Authorization to begin your placement while waiting for a decision on your Co-op Work Permit application.  

Please fill out the contact form to speak to an International Student Advisor to see if you’re eligible. 

Will I have to complete a COVID-19 test prior to entering Canada?

Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests will no longer be required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada. For more information, visit here

You should also visit Humber's COVID-19 Arrival page. 

Where do I find International Centre workshop recordings?

You can watch a recording of some of our most recent workshops on YouTube: International Student Service Workshops. 

Can I travel to Canada as an international student?

Eligible international students who meet all of the Canadian government’s travel requirements can now travel to Canada. To learn more, see this link. 

You can now enter Canada with a valid study permit or letter of introduction that shows that you are approved for a study permit and you have sufficient funding to support yourself and any family members that accompany you to Canada. In addition to having a study permit or a letter of introduction, students must also have a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Immigration will also check whether you’ve completed an immigration medical examination if required and the results are still valid.

For all required steps to travel to Humber (including covid testing, quarantine requirements, and more), please review our Covid-19 Arrival page

Pre-entry tests will no longer be required for fully-vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada. Please visit the IRCC website for more information.  

If you have any questions for us, please send them using our contact form. We will respond to the questions sent to us as soon as possible. When you are ready to travel to Canada, we will provide you with a travel letter in your name indicating that we are approved to welcome international students.  

What is the PGWP Eligibility policy for students studying outside of Canada during COVID-19?

Immigration has extended the ability for online learning for students who are currently pursuing their studies from outside of Canada from Spring 2020 until August 31, 2022. This is a temporary policy as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and is subject to change.

You should review the policy depending on where you are studying from, the delivery mode of your program, etc., to determine if additional criteria may apply.

If you have specific questions based on your personal situation, please contact an International Student Advisor.

Starting Fall 2022, students should study from inside Canada to have their time counts towards their PGWP eligibility.  

Where can I learn about current Canadian travel bans?

To learn about current Canadian travel bans, see here.  

Can I leave Canada if I plan to re-enter at a later time?

International students planning to depart Canada by air or train, must be aware of the Canadian government’s vaccination requirements:

  • Click here for more information. 

Please note travel restrictions for all countries may change with little warning.  Please review current travel restrictions here

In order to re-enter Canada, you will have to meet the entry requirements at the time of your travels. 

What is the PGWP Eligibility policy for students studying inside of Canada during COVID-19?

If you’re inside Canada you may be eligible for the PGWP if either of the following situations apply to you: 

  • Your in-person classes in Canada were moved to an online-only format. 
  • Your program has a mix of online and in-person learning. It’s highly recommended that you attend in-class options when offered. 
  • You had to put your studies on hold, or study part-time, during the winter, spring or summer 2020 semesters. 

If you have specific questions based on your personal situation, please contact an International Student Advisor. 

I already have a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage: can I opt-out of health insurance?

Humber does not offer an OHIP opt-out in the Summer semester. The next chance to opt-out is Fall 2022. Information regarding Fall 2022 opt-out for students with a valid Ontario government-issued OHIP card will be sent via email in September 2022.  

International students who are granted an OHIP opt-out will still be required to be covered by the IGNITE Extended Health and Dental coverage. 


Where can I find information related to Humber's residence?

For information about Humber's residence, including FAQs, information about measures in residence and what students do if they feel sick, visit


Staff Questions

COVID-19 Related HROE Resources Page for Employees

Following the Human Resources-focused Town Hall held on June 25, the Staff FAQs which were previously housed on this website will now reside directly on HROE COVID-19 Resources for Employees website (accessible through the HROE website, under COVID-19 Updates). This staff-specific page will also contain important resources related to the gradual reopening of our campuses.

This page will only be accessible to current Humber employees (i.e. an employee with an active employee ID or N number to sign in).

Please refer to this website for answers to your questions from both the All-Employee and Human Resources-focused Town Halls. For all general updates or student-specific information, please continue to visit here.