To the Humber community,
The COVID-19 pandemic has dominated the headlines and our lives for more than a year. In Ontario, we have had to adapt to changing provincial regulations to try to reduce the number of cases. While we continue to grapple with the situation here in Canada, we are also aware of the seriousness of the devastation caused by the virus in India right now. On behalf of everyone at Humber, I want to acknowledge the devastating impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on the people of India.
As the world's second most populous country, we know that many people in the Humber community have direct and indirect ties to India. We stand with our South Asian students, staff and families who are experiencing this crisis in a personal way. We know that this ongoing situation may be causing anxiety and distress.
We are with you and want to provide support during this challenging time. Below is a list of services available to staff and students.
As a global community, we continue to grieve all that has been lost this past year while working together to help address this ongoing crisis.
Resources for students and staff
- Students can contact the Student Wellness and Accessibility Centre for support.
- GoodToTalk (1-866-925-5454) is a 24-hour mental health support for Post-Secondary Students in Ontario.
- Therapy Assist Online
- Keep.MeSafe is a 24-hour support for International Students studying in Canada and abroad that offers culturally attuned mental health support. Download the myssp app here.
- Staff may also access Employee Assistance Plan services.
Additional Mental Health and Well-Being Supports for the South Asian Community
- University Health Network - Asian Mental Health
- HONG FOOK
- Community Family Services Ontario
- Muslim Family and Child Services
- ICNA RELIEF CANADA
- South Asian Canadians Health and Social Services – SACHSS
- COVID-19 Helpline for South Asians in the GTA
- Mental Health Toronto
- Centre For Addiction And Mental Health (CAMH)
- South Asian Women's Centre
- South Asian Mental Health Resources (SOCH)
President, CEO Humber I.T.A.L.