Building & Plant Maintenance
The Building Maintenance team supports effective work and study by keeping campus buildings and infrastructure in good working order. In addition, provides support to Capital Development, particularly during the designing and commissioning of new buildings.
BUILDING MAINTENANCE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Repairing ceiling surfaces, such as ceiling and light lenses.
- Repairing flooring including carpet, tile and other surfaces.
- Replacing damaged windows and frames.
- Repairing doors and their mechanical parts, with the exception of the lock cylinder.
- Repairing wall surfaces, such as brick or drywall, and painting public areas to keep interiors looking attractive.
- Repairing washroom items such as toilet paper and soap dispensers, stall enclosures, and air fresheners.
- Installing, assembling, or repairing office items such as signage, engraving, wall mounts, furniture, and storage units.
Our highly-trained team of Plant Maintenance professionals draw on a wealth of experience and technical expertise to keep Humber’s facilities operating at peak efficiency. In addition, provides support to Capital Development, particularly during the designing and commissioning of new buildings.
PLANT MAINTENANCE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Maintaining safe, reliable and efficient operational systems and equipment.
- Sustaining comfortable building temperatures and high indoor air quality through effective monitoring and control of heating, air conditioning, and ventilation.
- Ensuring high water quality and maintaining the integrity and reliability of all hydro distribution systems.
- Providing lighting fixture repairs and replacements to ensure safety in all interior and exterior areas.
- Providing emergency generator maintenance.
- Maintaining fire alarm and sprinkler systems.
- Servicing malfunctioning lights switches and sensors, electrical outlets, and equipment like hand dryers, or master clocks.
- Providing service to kitchen, laboratory, washroom, and change room areas, including servicing sinks, fountains, urinals, toilets, showers, various drains, and water pipes.
- Tracking Humber’s peak energy use to help conserve energy and reduce costs.
- Striving to reduce equipment noise levels to ensure a pleasant learning environment.
Please submit a service request if you require support in any of these areas.
General repairs and maintenance such as refinishing floors and cleaning windows will have a service fee charged if the service is beyond our regular building or custodial services.
Please submit a service request and we will provide an estimate for the work.
If your area is too hot or cold, please submit a service request and we will have a technician come and look into the problem as soon as possible.
Please do not use electric heaters. They will not fix the problem; they will only mask it and probably trip a breaker. Electric heaters also use a lot of electricity and are expensive for the College to operate.
By reporting facilities and systems that need repair or maintenance, you are helping us keep the campus clean and safe. We always appreciate it when someone notifies us about issues that may need our attention, even if it is not in your department.
If the work involves a safety issue or a maintenance problem, Facilities Management will cover the cost of basic building services, such as heating, air conditioning, gas, water and electricity, and repairs for common areas, such as cafeterias, hallways and lounges.
If the work goes beyond basic building services or involves spaces, such as laboratories, that belong to specific departments, the department requesting the work is responsible for the costs.