Building & Plant Maintenance
The Building Maintenance team supports effective work and study by keeping campus buildings and infrastructure in good working order. In addition, provides support to Capital Development, particularly during the designing and commissioning of new buildings.
BUILDING MAINTENANCE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Repairing ceiling surfaces, such as ceiling and light lenses.
- Repairing flooring including carpet, tile and other surfaces.
- Replacing damaged windows and frames.
- Repairing doors and their mechanical parts, with the exception of the lock cylinder.
- Repairing wall surfaces, such as brick or drywall, and painting public areas to keep interiors looking attractive.
- Repairing washroom items such as toilet paper and soap dispensers, stall enclosures, and air fresheners.
- Installing, assembling, or repairing office items such as signage, engraving, wall mounts, furniture, and storage units.
Our highly-trained team of Plant Maintenance professionals draw on a wealth of experience and technical expertise to keep Humber’s facilities operating at peak efficiency. In addition, provides support to Capital Development, particularly during the designing and commissioning of new buildings.
PLANT MAINTENANCE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Maintaining safe, reliable and efficient operational systems and equipment.
- Sustaining comfortable building temperatures and high indoor air quality through effective monitoring and control of heating, air conditioning, and ventilation.
- Ensuring high water quality and maintaining the integrity and reliability of all hydro distribution systems.
- Providing lighting fixture repairs and replacements to ensure safety in all interior and exterior areas.
- Providing emergency generator maintenance.
- Maintaining fire alarm and sprinkler systems.
- Servicing malfunctioning lights switches and sensors, electrical outlets, and equipment like hand dryers, or master clocks.
- Providing service to kitchen, laboratory, washroom, and change room areas, including servicing sinks, fountains, urinals, toilets, showers, various drains, and water pipes.
- Tracking Humber’s peak energy use to help conserve energy and reduce costs.
- Striving to reduce equipment noise levels to ensure a pleasant learning environment.
Please submit a service request if you require support in any of these areas.
General repairs and maintenance such as refinishing floors and cleaning windows will have a service fee charged if the service is beyond our regular building or custodial services.
Please submit a service request and we will provide an estimate for the work.
If your area is too hot or cold, please submit a service request and we will have a technician come and look into the problem as soon as possible.
Please do not use electric heaters. They will not fix the problem; they will only mask it and probably trip a breaker. Electric heaters also use a lot of electricity and are expensive for the College to operate.
By reporting facilities and systems that need repair or maintenance, you are helping us keep the campus clean and safe. We always appreciate it when someone notifies us about issues that may need our attention, even if it is not in your department.
If the work involves a safety issue or a maintenance problem, Facilities Management will cover the cost of basic building services, such as heating, air conditioning, gas, water and electricity, and repairs for common areas, such as cafeterias, hallways and lounges.
If the work goes beyond basic building services or involves spaces, such as laboratories, that belong to specific departments, the department requesting the work is responsible for the costs.
DAILY AND NIGHTLY
Campus washrooms are routinely cleaned 5-8 times a day and receive a thorough cleaning every night.
ONCE A NIGHT
Classrooms, laboratories and other common areas, such as cafeterias, lounges and hallways, are cleaned.
TWICE A WEEK
Office garbage is emptied.
ONCE A WEEK
Offices receive high and low dusting (i.e., filing cabinets are dusted providing there are no obstructions).
High traffic office areas are vacuumed or swept.
Classrooms and laboratories are fully vacuumed.
ONCE A MONTH
Offices are fully vacuumed.
Office carpets are spot cleaned.
Office walls and floors are spot cleaned.
ONCE A YEAR
Office carpets are steam cleaned.
Office ceiling diffusers, air vents, baseboards and the inside of windows are cleaned.
Recycling bins are emptied.
Recycling bins will also be emptied upon special request
Areas not accessible to the custodial team for security or other reasons are cleaned only upon special request
Note: Cleaning office desktops is the responsibility of the individuals using the desks and computers
Extra cleaning services can be provided for an additional fee.
To report cleaning service requirements including spills, please submit a service request.
The following enhanced measures are routinely performed as COVID-19 cleaning protocols:
Cleaning the high touch point areas every 2 hours.
Kaivac washrooms on a daily basis as per schedule.
Fogging different areas on a daily basis as per schedule including 2x a week for student areas.
Filling wipes and sanitizers as needed.
Emptying student and public area garbage and organic bins on a daily basis.
To report cleaning service requirements including spills, please submit a service request.
Humber has established purchasing guidelines that reflect our high quality standards and outline our value, price, delivery and safety requirements. Suppliers are prequalified through an open, fair, competitive and non-discriminatory process. The College solicits competitive bids for goods and services from approved suppliers through invited tenders or written quotations.
For more information, contact Purchasing Services.
- Accessibility at Humber (AODA)
- Workplace Safety and Well-being
- Hazardous Materials
- Employment Equity
- Humber Policies and Procedures
Please see our Reports, Forms & Publications page for a copy of our Contractor Handbook.
Humber provides a stimulating environment for any event, meeting, conference or social gathering, offering a wide range of services, facilities and amenities.
If you’re interested in planning an event on campus, Facilities Management can help:
- Please contact Central Scheduling at email@example.com to book the room/space you need.
- Not a Humber student, faculty or staff member? To book space for a meeting/event, please contact Conference Services.
- Remember to block off enough time to allow for setup and tear down, if needed.
- Be aware of building and service hours so that you can make appropriate arrangements if your event is scheduled outside of these hours.
- Submit a service request to Capital Development & Facilities Management for assistance with your event setup a week prior to your scheduled event.
FACILITIES MANAGEMENT SUPPORT SERVICES
Facilities Management provides support services to help ensure that your event is a success. Our services include:
- Event setup and teardown.
- Provision of furniture, such as tables, chairs and coat racks. Please note that we will not be able to provide all types and quantities of these items.
- Cleaning before and after an event.
- Moving services for larger events.
- Installation and removal of any special, temporary electrical services required for the event.
TO REQUEST SERVICES FOR MOST EVENTS:
Please submit a service request and ensure it is received by Facilities Management at least one week before the event.
Furniture: Facilities Management is able to provide a limited quantity and selection of tables, chairs, coat racks and podiums, depending on availability. If you require additional furniture, staging or risers, you are responsible for making all rental arrangements. Facilities Management can set up the rented furniture for an additional fee, depending on the event.
Teardown services will be provided on a schedule dependent basis.
Weekend events will be setup on Fridays unless otherwise requested.
There will be an additional cost for weekend services.
TO REQUEST SERVICES FOR LARGE EVENTS, SUCH AS THE PRESIDENT’S BREAKFAST, CONVOCATION OR THE SSAW LUNCH:
Please submit a service request to Facilities Management at least 90 days before the event to allow adequate time to coordinate all required services.
Extra power: If you need additional power for your event, you must give Facilities Management a detailed list of the quantity and specifications of all equipment (computers, AV equipment etc.) that you will be bringing in at least 45 days prior to the event.
Extra furniture: If you need additional tables, chairs or other furniture, you are responsible for making all rental arrangements. If the vendor does not provide a setup service, Facilities Management can set up the furniture for an additional fee, depending on the event.
Teardown services will also be provided, on a schedule dependent basis.
Weekend events will be setup on Fridays unless otherwise requested. There will be an additional cost for weekend services.
Hazardous Waste Disposal
Hazardous (Chemical) Waste Disposal Procedure
The Environmental Protection Act (EPA), administered by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment, is intended to provide for the protection and conservation of the natural environment. The General - Waste Management Regulation (Regulation 347) made under the EPA regulates the management and disposal of hazardous waste ensuring that proper handling procedures are used to dispose of wastes only at approved disposal facilities. Humber must comply with all regulatory requirements.
Health and Safety Services manages the disposal of hazardous waste for Humber. Any questions with respect to the disposal of chemical wastes should be directed to this office at extension 5021.
Please see the Health & Safety page for more information.
Surplus Item Disposal
Please submit a service request to coordinate this service.
Most surplus items can be moved and disposed of with no charge to you by our internal moving staff.
Once we have received your request and assessed the items for removal, you will be advised if a cost is required to cover the hiring of external moving resources.
PACKING AND MOVING INSTRUCTIONS FOR FACULTY AND STAFF
Please notify Facilities Management about your upcoming move by submitting a service request. Let us know if you have any time constraints so we can plan and complete the move to your satisfaction.
If you are moving because of a renovation, a service request is not required.
Facilities Management will provide:
- Packing boxes
- Moving stickers (please do not use labels that are not removable)
Your department or school is responsible for providing:
- Other incidental items for the move
- Empty all desks
- Remove all personal valuables, pictures, loose belongings etc. and store them in another location during the move or renovation
- Unlock and empty all shelves, bookcases, credenzas and storage cabinets and pack the contents in boxes
- Empty all two, three and four drawer lateral-type filing cabinets and pack the content in boxes (lateral cabinets are not structurally stable enough to be moved when they are full)
- Tape all moving boxes at the top and bottom with packing tape, not masking tape
- Clearly mark all boxes on at least two sides with your last name and initial, plus the room number of each box's final destination
- Clearly mark all furniture items that are not surplus with a removable moving sticker that includes your name and the room number of the item's final destination
- Phones should not be disconnected or packaged
- If you are moving due to a renovation, Facilities Management will coordinate any required computer moves with IT
Parking & Transportation
Parking Permits at Humber are only available through the MyHumber Parking & Lockers system. As an alternative, daily pay parking lots are available on a first come first serve basis.
To request Guest Parking, please submit a request.
Please address questions to:
firstname.lastname@example.org 416.675.6622 ext. 4416
Learn more about our extensive recycling program.
SUSTAINABILITY AT HUMBER
We are sustainable in everything we do. Facilities Management supports Humber’s commitment to sustainability in many ways, including:
Following a green cleaning program.
Implementing water and energy conservation measures.
Using sustainable landscape designs and native plant species.
Actively encouraging recycling, reuse and composting on campus.
By incorporating sustainability into our standard operating practices and requiring our suppliers to adhere to specific sustainability requirements, we are creating a healthier and more environmentally responsible campus at Humber.
Service requests are responded to as soon as possible. Each request is reviewed to identify any emergency and/or high-priority situations i.e. health & safety or student learning related, which will receive immediate attention. All other requests will be acknowledged and scheduled in a timely manner.
We’ve streamlined our system to make it easier and more convenient for you to access our services. All you have to do is submit a service request and we’ll coordinate the services to get the job done.
Humber is committed to removing snow and ice from entrances, sidewalks, roads and parking lots as quickly as possible during and after a continuous snowfall.
PRIORITIES FOR SNOW REMOVAL:
- Sidewalks, sidewalk ramps and curb cuts.
- Main building entrances, stairs, emergency roads, and access areas.
- Roads, parking lots and parking stalls used by people with disabilities.
Attractive, well-tended campus grounds enhance the student experience and create a welcoming first impression for visitors.
OUR HIGHLY-TRAINED STAFF ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Lawns, hard and soft landscaping, garden beds and container plantings.
- Snow and ice removal.
- Campus roads, sidewalks and curbs.
- Pedestrian corridors, fire lanes, pathways and trails.
- Campus tree inventory maintenance.
- Parking lot and signage maintenance.
- Pest control outside of buildings.
- Landscape support to Capital Development, in relation to new building construction projects.
Facilities Management is responsible for all types of work needed on campus and we are happy to answer your enquiries regarding how to get started. You can contact Rebecca Muyal, Manager of the Renovations and Capital Works at ext. 5570 to answer your questions, re-direct you to the appropriate person or engage someone to assist you with your project.
Once you have the information you need to get started, please submit a service request.
Your project size, cost and complexity will impact the request you submit.
Small Projects (under $50,000.) require submitting a service request
- Ordering signage, nameplates
- Painting of rooms, doors
- Installing cameras, card readers
- Installing power or data outlets
- Purchasing & installing furniture (tables/chairs)
- Installing whiteboards, keyboard trays, AV equipment (projector, TV screen)
Large Projects ($50,000 or higher) require submitting a space allocation request form (see Reports, Forms & Publications)
- Reconfiguration of existing office spaces to increase the number of workstations or offices
- Changing the function of an existing space (converting a meeting/storage room to office space, converting a classroom to a lab or a lab to a classroom)
- Requesting additional office space to accommodate new hires
- Requesting additional office space to accommodate new hires
Furniture & Fitments
All items of furniture, such as tables, desks, chairs and industrial shelving, must be purchased through Facilities Management. We have pre-qualified our vendors through a competitive process to ensure that all products meet Humber’s quality and safety standards. If you purchase an item from a non-approved vendor and the item is damaged or causes harm to someone at the College, Humber is liable for any associated costs.
Please submit a service request.
Humber exclusively uses copy paper made from 50% post-consumer waste. Many paper products are also FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified, ensuring that the paper is produced responsibly from healthy forests.
Canada Post Prepaid Xpresspost labels
You can submit stationary requests through our online form.
For Humber business cards, complete the Business Card Order Form.