Living off campus gives you the freedom to make your own decisions on how and where you want to live. But with freedom comes a whole new set of responsibilities – to your housemates, to your neighbours, and to the community. Humber is serious about its responsibilities both for and to its students in the wider community.
Tips on Being a Good Neighbour:
Make a point of meeting your neighbours. Be friendly, wave and say hello when you see them, stop to say a few words. It will go a long way and make for a comfortable atmosphere for everyone.
Look out for each other
You are now part of a community. If you see someone that may need some help (clearing snow, lifting something into the house, etc..) offer to help.
Pay attention to the details
The look of your home will have a big impact on how your neighbours react to you. Simple things like taking in the garbage pails, properly recycling bottles and not placing banners in windows. Talk to your landlord to be clear on your responsibilities for mowing grass, raking leaves, and shoveling snow.
**Toronto by-law requires that snow and ice be cleared from sidewalks within 24 hours of a snowfall.
Follow garbage/recycling schedules and rules
Your neighbours can tell you what day garbage is picked up or you can find your schedule here. Only put out your garbage on those days.
Save getting charged - know the by-laws
- Snow and ice must be cleared from sidewalks within 24 hours of a snowfall.
- Grass and weeds cannot exceed 20 centimetres in height / 8 inches.
- Watch the bass settings on your speakers and use headphones where you can. Noise by-law states - No person shall make, cause or permit noise or vibration, at any time, which is likely to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of the inhabitants of the City.
- Liquor License Act prohibitions mean that you can be charged for having open alcohol in your possession while on your front lawn or in the stairwell of an apartment .
- If you plan to serve and exchange alcohol for money in any way - through ticket sales, admission at the door, passing the hat, or whatever, this is illegal and you could face charges.