As of January 1, 2019, all Humber campuses and the University of Guelph-Humber will be smoke free.
This supports our signing of the Okanagan Charter for Health Promoting Universities and Colleges earlier this fall. The Okanagan Charter incorporates health into everyday operations, business practices and academic mandates, and supports our goal to become the healthiest campus in Canada. This means smoking of any kind – including tobacco, cannabis and e-cigarettes – is not allowed on all Humber property. Humber property includes all campuses, buildings, spaces and grounds, including residence and all vehicles owned or leased by Humber.
Members of the Humber community who want to smoke will need to leave campus property to do so, and individuals will not be given time away from work or class to smoke. To learn more about these upcoming changes, refer to our new Smoke-Free Campus Policy.
There are a number of resources available for anyone who wants to quit smoking:
Smoking cessation resources:
- Leave the Pack Behind is a free smoking cessation program for students, funded by the Ontario government. The program offers personalized support and quitting resources. Contact a nurse at the Student Wellness and Accessibility Centre for support.
- the Nicotine Dependence Clinic
- Live Tobacco-Free
- Smokers’ Helpline, which provides free, confidential, one-on-one support to those ready to talk about quitting.
Medical and counselling services:
At the Humber Student Wellness and Accessibility Centre, you can talk to a counselor, nurse or a doctor. To do so, you can visit the Student Wellness and Accessibility Centre (North) or the Student Welcome Centre (Lakeshore) in person or get in touch by phone at 416-675-5090 (North) and 416-675-6622 ext. 3331 (Lakeshore).
Fitness and recreation resources:
- Humber has fitness centres at the North and Lakeshore Campuses so staff and students can stay active and relieve stress.
- Mood walks are offered at North Campus three times a week. This free, flexible outdoor opportunity is open to all students, staff and faculty at the University of Guelph-Humber and Humber College. This type of activity can reduce stress, improve concentration, and bolster creative problem-solving.
Campus Walk is a free service that provides a walking partner to go with you to your car, Residence, transit stop or to the edge of Humber property.