|Effective Date:||June 25, 2012|
|Downloadable Version:||Asbestos Management Policy|
|This document is available in alternate format on request.|
The Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning (hereafter referred to as “Humber” or “the College”) is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment to its employees, students, leasehold tenants, contractors, and visitors. Humber will ensure that an effective Asbestos Management Program is in place to actively manage and rigorously control all asbestos-containing materials in College buildings and all activities which may disturb such materials.
This applies to all Humber buildings and structures, and to all employees, students, leasehold tenants, contractors, and visitors on Humber premises.
Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3 Asbestos: As defined under the Regulation respecting Asbestos on Construction Projects and in Buildings and Repair Operations (O.Reg. 278/05), there are three classifications of operations generally based on the asbestos hazard presented by the work. The three levels are based on an assessment of the risk of exposure:
• Type 1 Asbestos: low risk
• Type 2 Asbestos: medium risk
• Type 3 Asbestos: high risk
Full definitions are outlined in the Humber College Asbestos Management Program Section 5.
1. The Director of Facilities Management is responsible for the establishment and maintenance of an Asbestos Management Program, consistent with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1990 and the Asbestos Regulation (O. Reg. 278/05), and in consultation with Health and Safety Services and Humber’s Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee.
2. The College will maintain an asbestos inventory of all asbestos-containing materials within College buildings, and will conduct annual inspections in accordance with O..Reg. 278/05, as outlined in the Asbestos Management Plan.
3. All employees and contractors, who during their normal duties may be exposed, or accidentally disturb asbestos-containing materials, are to be properly informed/trained.
4. All employees who work with asbestos-containing materials and those who supervise or manage projects involving the disturbance of asbestos-containing materials must be trained in the hazardous properties of asbestos and the applicable procedures to follow to ensure safety to all.
5. Type 1 and 2 asbestos work must be conducted by trained and experienced Humber employees or asbestos abatement contractors following procedures outlined in the Humber’s Asbestos Management Program.
6. Type 3 asbestos projects must be conducted only by trained and qualified contractors engaged by the College and not by Humber employees.
Humber Occupational Health and Safety Policy