Expense Reimbursement Policy
|Effective Date:||May 11, 2021|
|Downloadable Version:||Expense Reimbursement Policy|
|Related Procedure(s):||Expense Reimbursement Procedure|
|This document is available in alternate format on request.|
The purpose of this policy is to outline the entitlement and conditions under which out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed by The Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning and the University of Guelph Humber (hereafter referred to as "Humber" or "the College"). It relies on the goodwill, discretion and honesty of all employees and individuals conducting business on the College’s behalf, while maintaining the College’s stewardship obligations as a publicly funded institution.
This policy applies to all College employees and non-employees: students, contractors, consultants, including members of the Board, who incur out-of-pocket expenses on behalf of the College.
The College is required to comply with directives issued under the authority of the Broader Public Sector Expense Directive.
It applies to all reimbursable expenses incurred while undertaking business on behalf of the College, including but not limited to those relating to approved conferences and workshops, hospitality, meals and travel.
Accounts Payable Staff: member of the Accounts Payable, Financial Services Team that processes approved expense reimbursements for payment to the non-employee claimant.
Approver: Budget holder or delegate responsible for approving a Claimants expense reimbursement.
Claimant: any all College employee, and non-employee, including members of the Board, who incur out-of-pocket expenses on behalf of the College requiring reimbursement.
Delegate: an individual, assigned by the Approver to approve on their behalf.
Expenses: out-of-pocket expenditures incurred by a Claimant or on behalf of a group of individuals in support of College business activities.
- The College is accountable for public funds and is transparent to all stakeholders. As such, all expenditures incurred in the course of the College's operations must be in support of its business objectives.
- The College will reimburse approved, out-of-pocket expenditures that are deemed as legitimate, reasonable and appropriate for the activity undertaken.
- Claimants and Approvers are responsible for ensuring that all reimbursement claims meet the eligibility criteria, supported by original receipts. All claims are subject to approval. Claimants and Approvers shall use integrity, prudence and good judgment in the application of this policy.
- Expenditures must have been incurred by the claimant or on behalf of a group of claimants.
- Individuals should neither gain nor lose personally as a result of incurring out-of-pocket expenditures on behalf of the College.