Journals are a means of private communication between you and your students. Journals allow students to reflect on their learning, post their opinions, analyze course content, etc. You may grade the journal entries, or use them solely for the purpose of communication.
- At this time, students are not notified if you edit any content in the journal.
- You can change a journal from graded to ungraded (or the reverse) as long as there are no entries or comments.
- If you delete an entry, it will also delete all associated comments.
- If you delete a graded journal, the journal is removed from the Course Content page and the gradebook.
To create a journal:
- In the Course Content area, hover your mouse where you want to add a journal and select the plus sign > Create.
- On the Create Item panel, select Journal. The New Journal page will open.
- On the New Journal page, add a title and a prompt to set expectations and guidelines.
- To set the journal as gradable, select the settings icon (top-right corner) to open the Journal Settings panel. When you choose to grade a journal, more options appear such as due date, maximum points, and adding a rubric.
To edit/delete a journal:
- On the course content page, locate your journal.
- Select the More Options for [journal name] > Edit or Delete.
NOTE: Please see the Important details section at the top of the page for additional information on editing and deleting journals.
- Create a Journal in the Ultra Course Video – 1 min Blackboard Help video