Student Learning Services has different ways to engage with Faculty and Instructors to support your in-class curriculum and to collaborate with you to make a positive impact on students’ learning experience, inside and outside of the classroom. Find out how we can work with you to offer our services to students in your courses.

Class Visits

Student Learning Services (PALS and Math & Writing Centre) staff are always looking for opportunities to tell students about the learning support services we offer. Whether it is the beginning of the semester, or just after midterms, feel free to reach out to us via our Contact Us page and invite us to visit your class. Visits are 5-minute presentations about our services presented by a staff member or tutor.

In-Class Learning Skills Workshops (LSWs)

Faculty at Humber and Guelph-Humber can request any of our Learning Skills Workshops to be delivered during scheduled class times. Please submit the form below to request a workshop. LSWs can be delivered online and in-person. You can review our list of Learning Skills Workshops here.

Complete this form to request a 50 minute in-class workshop.

*Please note that instructors must be present during in-class workshops.

Math & Writing Centre Workshops

The Math and Writing Centre offers APA Skills and Academic Integrity workshops as part of our Learning Skills Workshops, offered on a regular basis online and in-person, or by special request in-class (see above). In addition, we offer a workshop on Writing Research Papers, covering essential skills for developing research papers, as well as workshops or weekly tutorials on specific math topics to support students in a variety of math courses. For more information about the workshops or to schedule a specific Math Skills workshop, please Contact Us. Use the form below to organize an in-class workshop on APA Citation Skills or Academic Integrity. We encourage faculty to host the Academic Integrity workshop first, before the APA Workshop.

Complete this form to request a 50 minute in-class workshop.

*Please note that instructors must be present during in-class workshops.

In-Class Tutoring

Faculty at Humber and Guelph-Humber can request an In-Class Peer Tutor for their courses. In-Class Tutors offer one-on-one tutoring assistance to students during the class without disrupting the faculty member or other students. For example, Tutors may provide guidance during labs or lectures, to ensure students are following the pace of the class, reviewing previously taught material, or sharing study techniques and campus resources. Tutors are not to teach any new material or support with instruction or grading. For more information, please Contact Us and we will gladly meet with you to discuss our support.

Note Taking Services

Note taking services is a disability-related accommodation facilitated by the Peer Assisted Learning Support (PALS) office for students registered with Accessible Learning Services (ALS).  PALS’ note taking service requires students to audio record their classes and upload those audio recordings to a third-party supplier website to receive notes.  Students may use a cell phone, tablet, digital recorder, laptop or other device to record a class. Students are advised that the purpose of these recordings is for personal study only. To help Humber and the University of Guelph-Humber Faculty, PALS provides answers to the most common questions in our Note Taking FAQ section.

Peer Tutor and PASS Leader Recruitment

Hiring academically successful students to support their peers is a critical part of the Learning Support we offer. Whether through one-on-one peer tutoring or our PASS Program, we are constantly looking for high achieving students who are interested in working on campus and giving back to their peers by sharing their academic skillset. Faculty are encouraged to reach out to us if there is a student in their classes who would be an excellent Peer Tutor or PASS Leader. Eligible students must have achieved 80% in the specific course, and have an overall CGPA of 75%. Contact us if you would like to refer a student to become a Peer Tutor or PASS Leader. Hiring is conducted on an as needed basis each semester. If you know that your course does not have a Tutor, you can make a request on behalf of your students by completing our Can't Find My Course form.