Occupational Health and Safety Policy
|Effective Date:||July 2, 2013|
|Downloadable Version:||Occupational Health and Safety Policy|
|This document is available in alternate format on request.|
The Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning and the University of Guelph-Humber (hereafter referred to as “Humber”) are committed to providing a safe and healthy working and learning environment to all members of the Humber community. It is the goal of Humber and its employees to construct every structure plan every activity and perform all tasks in a manner that minimizes risks, promotes the health, safety and wellbeing of all individuals, and prevents occupational injuries or illnesses.
Health and safety is a joint responsibility shared by all members of the Humber community. This policy applies to all employees, students, visitors and contractors of Humber College and the University of Guelph-Humber.
- Humber will maintain and promote a safe and healthy working and learning environment by implementing health and safety programs and procedures that meet or exceed the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations, and other applicable legislation and codes.
- Humber administrators, supervisors and other individuals who are responsible for directing the work of others are responsible for the health and safety of all individuals under their direction and the workplaces under their charge. They must implement all the necessary measures and programs to eliminate or control potential health and safety hazards associated with the activities under their supervision. They must ensure that their employees are provided with health and safety training and education appropriate to their job requirements.
- All employees, contractors, tenants, students and visitors shall comply with all relevant legislation and all Humber policies and procedures regarding health and safety.
- Every employee shall use safe work practices on all assignments, as governed by Humber policies and procedures. It is the responsibility of every employee to report unsafe conditions and workplace injuries to their supervisors.
- Humber, in consultation with the Joint Health and Safety Committee, shall ensure that all other policies and operating procedures meet the goals of this Policy.