Accessibility Consultants work with students to determine academic accommodations based on disability-related needs, as described through self-report and their documentation. Accommodations are provided to students with both temporary and permanent disabilities. Students who are in the process of being assessed by a health care provider may be eligible to receive interim accommodations.

In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, you are not required to disclose your specific diagnosis to Accessible Learning Services in order to receive accommodations. However, documentation outlining the functional impacts of your disability will help us understand your strengths and challenges so that we can determine the most appropriate accommodations to support your learning. If you do not have documentation, please contact us and we will discuss with you how to obtain documentation.

All documentation submitted to Accessible Learning Services is treated as strictly confidential. We will not provide your disability-related documentation to a third party unless you request, in writing, that we do so.


Types of Documentation by Disability

If you are a student with a learning disability, ASD or MID please provide:

  • A copy of your most recent psychoeducational assessment or your IEP


If you are a student with ADD/ADHD, a brain injury, are hard of hearing or Deaf, have a medical condition, mental health condition, mobility impairment, or visual impairment, please provide:

  • A completed Humber/Guelph-Humber Medical Report Form
  • You may also provide other documentation completed by your health care professional (e.g., a neuropsychological assessment, a letter outlining the functional impacts of your disability)

Please note that in some limited circumstances we may require supplemental documentation. The provision of supplemental documentation may be required to determine eligibility for certain types of accommodations, funding resources, or services. For example, students who require the services of an ASL interpreter may be requested to provide a copy of an audiogram or audiologist report.

Important Note for Students Receiving OSAP

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) provides some financial aid for students with disabilities. In order to access this funding, students are required to:

If your health care professional has completed the OSAP Disability Verification Form, Accessibile Learning Services will accept a copy of this form as documentation of your disability.