What is the Easy Start Transition Program?
The Easy Start Transition Program for students with disabilities aims to provide new students with resources and information to assist in transitioning to post-secondary studies at Humber College and the University of Guelph-Humber.
The program includes interactive opportunities to explore Humber and Guelph-Humber's services and learn about accessing academic accommodations. Students will also have the opportunity to meet with returning students registered with Accessible Learning Services.
Summer 2020 Program Details -
NEW! ESTP TO BE OFFERED ONLINE!
The 2020 Easy Start Transition program will be offered through Blackboard, Humber’s online learning platform. The program will run as an online module-based format from Monday, August 17 to Friday, August 28.
Students will gain valuable information and skills on transitioning to post-secondary studies through a series of short videos created by our team.
- Understanding Your Accommodation Letter
- Time Management and Memory Strategies
- How to Communicate with Professors
- Establishing Positive Habits and Managing Stress
Accessible Learning Services will be hosting four LIVE sessions for students, family and friends.
ASL interpreting and real-time captioning will be provided for each session.
If you would like to access ASL interpretation for any session, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. When contacting us, please specify the live session(s) you plan to attend as well as your name and student number.
Please join us on the following dates:
Friends and Family Session
- Tuesday August 18, from 2-3pm
- An opportunity for friends and family to learn how to support their first year student.
- Please join this session at the specified day and time by going to Family and Friends Q&A
- Thursday August 20, from 2-3pm
- Get advice and tips directly from current students.
- Please join this session on the specified day and time by going to Student Panel Q&A
Everyday Tools to Manage Your Stress
- Tuesday August 25, from 2-3pm
- Learn tips and strategies to manage stress
- Please join this session at the specified day and time by going to Everday Tools to Manage Your Stress
Ask an ALS Consultant
- Thursday August 27, from 2-3pm
- Our Accessibility Consultant will be live to answer questions and provide resources about Accessible Learning Services.
- Please join this session at the specified day and time by going to AC Q&A
Testimonials about Past Easy Start Transition Programs
“I felt the guest speaker was Incredible, and it was very reassuring to hear the stories from the student panel. It was also a great opportunity to meet some awesome people, and feel more comfortable about transitioning to Humber."
100% of surveyed participants indicated that they would recommend the Easy Start Transition Program to other students with disabilities and that they plan to access our services during their time at Humber College and the University of Guelph-Humber.
Top 6 Reasons to Attend Easy Start Transition Program
Starting at Humber College or University of Guelph-Humber in the Fall? Looking for information to help you succeed as a postsecondary student with a disability?
Meet current students who are connected with Accessible Learning Services and succeeding in their studies!
Learn the differences between the expectations on students in High School compared to College and University.
Bring a Guest
Your guests will learn ways to support you on your new academic journey.
Learn about note-taking, time management strategies, or coping with anxiety!
You’re Not Alone
Meet other students starting their post-secondary journey and discover the common questions you all have.
Learn about what academic accommodations are, what we can do for you, and what you need to do to prepare for September.