Skip to content
  • Medical student looking at a device

Work-Integrated Learning Abroad

You can complete program work placements in Canada or abroad. In today’s competitive job market, having global work experience under your belt is one of the very best things you can do for your prospective career.

But interning abroad is about much more than work experience. You’ll be challenged to adapt both personally and professionally, and the payoff will be enormous. By leaving the comforts of home to immerse yourself in an entirely new culture, you’ll be pushing the boundaries of what you are capable of and gain an invaluable global perspective.

You’ll have the opportunity to enhance many skills, including self-confidence, decision-making, building new networks, and communicating in different environments. Arguably, the travel and life experience acquired through working abroad is even more important than the professional experience.


Step One

Talk to your Placement Coordinator about guidelines and the processes needed for approval from your academic faculty. In most cases you’ll need to submit a proposal.

Step Two

Identify your potential host employer/organization and work with your Placement Coordinator to complete the Placement Approval package from your academic faculty. In general, Humber does not recruit on behalf of any company or organization around the world. It is your responsibility to locate and secure your placement opportunity.

Tip: The “Opportunities Abroad” section below is a good place to start researching potential host employers/organizations. Also consider local job search websites, LinkedIn, and sending a portfolio directly to companies/organizations you’d like to join. Visit Career Services for help updating your resume, writing a cover letter, and practicing for job interviews! 

Step Three

If your Placement Coordinator approves your internship proposal, connect with Humber Global and visit the “Before You Go” section of our website to review and submit Humber’s mandatory travel forms and documents. Travelers who are not Canadian citizens should refer to the Consular Office of the country to which you intend to work and travel.

Keep in mind that you’ll need the proper authorization to legally work in the country you’ll be living in, even if your placement is unpaid. Plan to apply for the proper work authorization (visa) at least two months in advance of travel. Canadian youth aged 18-35 should refer to the International Experience Canada website.

Step Four

You’re on your way! Consider enrolling in Humber’s free Global Citizenship Certificate program to compliment the knowledge, skills and understanding you have the chance to develop abroad. Keep in touch and be sure to share your photos and stories with the Humber community!

Up to $2,500 Bursary Available!

We really want students to take advantage of this amazing experience; in fact, we even have a Global Learning Bursary of up to $2,500! All students are invited to apply for the bursary upon nomination to their summer program and almost every student will receive funding toward their experience based on the length of your program and financial need.

Global Skills Opportunity Logo

Funding is made possible in part to by Global Skills Opportunity, the Government of Canada’s Outbound Student Mobility Pilot Program. For eligible students — specifically Indigenous students, students from low-income backgrounds and those with disabilities, additional funding is available for your experience.

With all of the advantages in mind… What are you waiting for?