Skip to content

When Applying For Humber Bridging Programs

Credential Evaluation

Your bridging programs require an international degree or diploma that is equivalent to a Canadian credential. Why?

Our bridging programs are designed with the internationally trained professional in mind, someone who already possesses postsecondary education and work experience from outside of Canada. Our programs will build on the skills you already have, so you don’t have to start over again.

How do I get my educational credentials evaluated?

There are two options available to you:

The World Education Services (WES) is a non-profit organization that evaluates educational credentials from any country in the world and provides a Canadian equivalency. WES evaluations are widely accepted across Canada by government agencies, employers, universities and regulatory bodies.


The International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) is committed to providing reliable information that will help individuals achieve personal, career and educational goals and help employers, education institutions, immigration authorities, community agencies and other organizations to understand international credentials. ICAS annually provides over 10 000 assessments for secondary, postsecondary and technical qualifications.

Canadian Language Benchmark Assessments

I had my language skills tested through TOEFL or IELTS recently. Do I still need to have the CLBA assessment?

Yes. You are still required to complete a Canadian Language Benchmark Assessment (CLBA) the nationally recognized standard which measures four language skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing). The minimum score required for successful admission to Humber's bridging programs is Level 7/8. CLBA assessments can be done for free at a local YMCA Language Assessment and Referral Centre.

My CLBA assessment was done more than six months ago. Do I need to get re-assessed?

No. Your CLBA language scores are valid for a 12 month period.

Applying to Humber’s Bridging Programs 

Why should I go through a bridging program? Can I take these same courses through Humber's Continuing Education department?

Yes, you can take the same courses independently through Humber's Continuing Education department. Keep in mind however, that the bridging programs have already packaged these courses in a way that allows you to complete them in a short period of time. Additionally, bridging program participants have access to Financial Aid options that are not available through Continuing Education studies. As a student enrolled in a Bridging Program, you will also have access to both, an Employment Advisor and a Job Developer, to ensure that you make the necessary connections to secure a job in this sector.

I have been living in Canada for more than 5 years. Can I apply for Humber's bridging programs?

Our programs cater to immigrants who have been in Canada 5 years or less. Just as important as your length of time in Canada are the international skills, experiences and abilities you possess.

I do not have all the documents required. Can I still attend an information session?

Yes. You can attend an information session without the documents that are needed in order to complete your application. However, your application can only go forward once Humber has received all required documentation. Please submit any outstanding documents as soon as possible.

What happens after I attend an information session?

Once your application is complete and all your documents are submitted, you may be contacted for an interview. In the case of some bridging programs, you may also be required to complete a preliminary assessment of your technical skills.

Can I apply to more than one bridging program at Humber?

Yes. You can apply to more than one of Humber's bridging programs; however, please keep in mind that you can only be accepted into one program.

When should I pay the tuition fee?

You are required to pay the tuition fee once you have received an Offer of Admission into our bridging program.

Tuition Fees

I can't afford the tuition fees. Is there any help for me?

There are two options available to you:

The Ontario Bridging Participant Assistance Program (OBPAP) provides bursaries of up to $5,000 to cover direct education costs (tuition, books and equipment) for students attending non-OSAP approved, current or former Ministry of Citizenship, Immigration and International Trade funded bridge training programs offered by Ontario colleges of applied arts and technology, publicly-assisted universities and the Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences (Michener Institute).

OBPAP bursary assistance is also available to students with financial need attending approved bridge training programs offered by the postsecondary institutions that are indirectly funded by MCI through Employment Ontario.

Windmill Microlending supports immigrant learners by providing educational loans of up to $10,000 to those who lack the financial resources to pay for the Canadian licensing or training that allows them to work in their field. Windmill micro loans are different than regular bank loans because Windmill does not require applicants to be employed, have a credit history in Canada, or have collateral - all typical bank requirements. Windmill invests in people who the banks would turn away - people who have skills and abilities our society needs.

Getting a Job While in the Bridging Program

What happens if I get a job while I am in the bridging program?

First, we would congratulate you if you get a job in your field as that is the goal of Humber's bridging programs! We would encourage you to continue with your studies at Humber as many employers support the learning we provide and have encouraged participants to continue with the program. Some employers have been known to adjust work schedules to accommodate the course schedule.

Funded by Government of Ontario and Government of Canada