Frequently Asked Questons


My business/organization is interested in working with Humber faculty and students on a project. How can I initiate a partnership?

Complete our Partner Eligibility Form. A staff member will contact you to discuss once it has been submitted.

What kind of research takes place at Humber?

Applied research, which is the systematic and original investigation of a problem, need or new entrepreneurial opportunity with a goal of achieving measurable, practical outcomes.

The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) is applying a systematic framework to investigate the effectiveness of teaching practices, and using evidence to build new teaching/learning practices. It is open to peer review and widely shared.

How long does it take to prepare a grant application?

This depends on the granting agency and the funding requested. Humber faculty or staff will support the process. Contact to learn more about how to partner with us on your project.


I have been hired as a research assistant. Who should I contact about my orientation session?

Please contact:

How can Research & Innovation help me?

We can help you turn your idea into a research question.  Once your research question has been identified, we can help you identify partnership opportunities, identify funding opportunities, and complete grant applications.  We can also assist with the management of awarded funds, student research assistants, risk, project timelines, and financial reporting.

I want to apply for funding, but I don’t know where to start. What should I do?

We are here to help! Contact us at, and we will be happy to discuss your options.

What approvals do I need to apply for funding?

Faculty or staff must have the approval of their Humber Dean or Director before preparing and submitting a funding application. External grant applications must be approved by Research & Innovation before submission to the granting agency. We will work closely with you to ensure you have the right approvals in place before you apply for funding.

Does Research and Innovation provide funding for Humber employees engaging in research activities for academic credit or credentials?

No. Research activities for academic credit or credentials (e.g. a faculty/staff member’s Masters or PhD thesis research) are not eligible for Research & Innovation funding.

I want to enroll my entire class/program in the Research Assistant Online Tutorial. Can I do that?

Of course! Contact to receive instructions.


What is the Research Assistant Online Tutorial?

The Research Assistant Online Tutorial is an interactive and comprehensive training module designed to introduce students to the basic principles of research at large, and working as a Research Assistant (RA) in particular. The tutorial, offered by Humber as a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) through CourseSites by Blackboard, provides an overview of the research process, distinguishes between types of methodology and analysis, and acts as an educational resource for students doing research in class or those hired as RAs for faculty-led research.

How do I submit my timesheets?

All timesheets must be submitted to your supervisor by 12:00 noon on the due date.  No timesheet will be approved by Research & Innovation, unless it is approved by your supervisor.  Send a screen shot of your timesheets to your supervisor and copy Your supervisor will reply all with their approval by 5:00pm on the due date.