An assembly of faculty, support staff, students, and administrators, Humber College Council (HCC) is Humber’s collective employee voice, making suggestions to Humber College’s President as it relates to long and short‐term institutional priorities.
Held on September 15, HCC’s first meeting of the academic year occurred at the North campus and focused on supporting President Vaughan in her new role. Dr. Vaughan asked HCC to contribute to her onboarding by apprising her of key themes as she commences her presidency.
The meeting kicked off with Dean of Indigenous Education and Engagement (IE&E), Jason Seright, sharing a new college resource aimed at increasing their engagement in Indigenous Education: Giving a Land Acknowledgement. The Council then discussed their follow up to Dean Seright’s call to action one year ago on the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. Responses included, and were not limited to:
- Conducting land acknowledgements at key Humber events and meetings
- Embedding land acknowledgements within the curriculum
- Working with staff and students to increase their capacity to conduct land acknowledgements
- Engaging in the Four Seasons of Reconciliation Training offered through IE&E and making its completion part of performance goals
- Braiding Indigenous-led businesses into Humber’s operations (e.g., Birch Bark coffee is now available on campus).
Facilitated by Dave Smiderle, Associate Dean, Continuous Professional Learning in the Faculty of Applied Sciences Technology, the remainder of the meeting focused on reinvigorating Council members and engaging them in a discussion that would further contribute to Dr. Vaughan’s onboarding. Members shared Humber initiatives that make them proud to work at the college and demonstrates Humber’s values of courage, innovation, equity, health & well-being, and sustainability, including:
- Teaching for Belonging: Inclusive and Identity-Responsive Instruction
- Employee System Review
- Humber Learning Outcomes
- The Unlearning Circle
- COWD newcomer programs
NEXT HCC MEETING
The next Humber College Council meeting will be held virtually on October 13, 2022.
For questions or comments about HCC meeting highlights, contact email@example.com. For supporting materials, meeting minutes or opportunities to provide feedback, please visit the College Council website or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.