It was recently announced that John Walsh will be completing his term as Vice-Provost and Chief Executive Officer, University of Guelph–Humber on July 31, 2020. As such, the University of Guelph is commencing an internal search for an Interim Vice-Provost for a period of 18 months.
The candidate profile for the interim position is below and can be found at uoguelph.ca/facultyjobs/postings/ad20-04.shtml. A letter of intent as well as a CV should be included as part of the application process.
Please note that if you are interested in pursuing this position in the full-term capacity, you will not be eligible to apply for the interim position.
Any questions related to the candidate profile can be directed to Charlotte Yates at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interim Vice-Provost and Chief Academic Officer, University of Guelph-Humber
The University of Guelph-Humber is a collaborative venture between the University of Guelph and Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning which enables students to earn a fully integrated university honours degree and a college diploma in only four years of study. The strengths of two different institutions and cultures have been blended to provide a winning combination which includes a range of programs that combine theoretical education and applied training to prepare students for careers in growing sectors of the economy as well as graduate education. In addition to leading and managing all aspects of the University of Guelph-Humber the Vice Provost will build on the outstanding academic reputations of the University of Guelph and Humber College by harnessing the energy and commitment of faculty and staff from both institutions to create an exceptional educational experience, take responsibility for the development and marketing of academic programs as well as recruitment of faculty, staff and students.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Specific responsibilities include:
- Designing, developing, implementing and marketing the applied programs for the University of Guelph-Humber through the governance processes at the University of Guelph and Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning;
- Managing relationships with the two partner organizations (at both the leadership and operational levels);
- Providing strategic leadership and planning for advancement and development (e.g. partnerships, alumni, development, fundraising and annual giving);
- Developing and implementing appropriate academic management, administration, policy and procedures for the University of Guelph-Humber, consistent with academic standards of the two institutions and in accordance with academic policy and practice at the University of Guelph;
- Developing, implementing, and reconciling systems and processes that meet the unique administrative needs of the University of Guelph-Humber while being consistent and compliant with the administrative policies of both the University of Guelph and Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning;
- Program enrolment including recruitment strategies for high-quality students;
- Recruiting and effectively managing, through the University of Guelph and Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, the Program heads, faculty and staff required to support Guelph-Humber programs;
- Budgeting, allocating resources and managing revenue and expenditure control;
- Ensuring the building of partnerships with industry in conjunction with academic program development to create opportunities for students such as work placements, research assistantships, and access to advanced technologies;
- Building and maintaining international partnerships and relationships to create opportunities for students, faculty, and staff for study abroad, semester abroad, international research, visiting faculty and staff opportunities, and international recruitment;
- Developing a multi-year business plan for the University of Guelph-Humber including enrolment targets, revenues and expenses;
- Ensuring appropriate Student Services are provided to maximize the benefit to students;
- Ensures compliance with the relevant policies, procedures and requirements as set out by the governing bodies of the University of Guelph, Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, and those established through the joint venture agreement.
- Effectively managing staff, faculty and instructors in a unionized environment in the context of multiple collective bargaining agreements
The successful candidate will possess:
- Outstanding knowledge of Ontario’s colleges and universities, including academic programs, competitive strengths, academic governance processes, legislative and regulatory framework and labour relations practices;
- Superior understanding of the opportunities and challenges that emanate from college-university collaboration and the ways in which such opportunities can be realized;
- Exceptional skills in academic strategic planning and visionary leadership in a complex organization, including experience in setting objectives, developing strategies and gaining commitment from others;
- Demonstrated experience in developing financial resource allocation processes and policies for the budget
- Demonstrated managerial experience in complex institutional settings especially academic institutions;
- Demonstrated ability to work with senior academics and administrative leaders in support of collegial governance processes;
- A strong understanding of the relationship between post-secondary education, the value of applied knowledge and the development of the knowledge-based economy;
- A minimum of two years’ experience at a senior academic administrative level in a nationally recognized post-secondary institution;
- PhD or its equivalent;
Applicants must submit on or before February 14, 2020. Application packages should include a letter of introduction, curriculum vitae and the names of two references (who will not be contacted without the consent of the candidate). Applications should be submitted electronically, in confidence to:
Charlotte Yates, Provost & Vice-President (Academic)
University of Guelph
c/o Kim McCaughan, Executive Assistant to the Provost