Skip to content
  • Students replicating Beatles Album cover



One of the most valuable and important steps you can take to prepare yourself for your experience abroad is to learn about your destination. Investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, environment, consular locations, and culture of the country you’re visiting.

Some questions to keep in mind are:

  1. What is the political system in your host country?
  2. Will any elections take place during your visit?
  3. What are the main characteristics of daily life?
  4. What are the major public holidays and how are they celebrated?
  5. What are accepted styles of dress for your gender and role in society?
  6. What religion is practiced in the country?
  7. Are there any issues related to religious intolerance?
  8. Are there any special concerns about gender/racial/ethnic/linguistic difference?
  9. What foods are most popular and how are they prepared?
  10. Who are the country’s national heroes and heroines?
  11. How do people greet each other?
  12. What things are taboo in this society?
  13. What’s the relationship between this country and Canada and other countries in the world?
  14. What sports are popular?
  15. What kinds of health services are available?
  16. What diseases are prevalent? How are they transmitted?
  17. Are there any immunizations required and/or suggested for your visit?
  18. What is the history of natural disasters in your host country?
  19. Are there any special security concerns?
  20. Are there areas in your host country and city which are recommended to be avoided?
  21. What is the equivalent of “911”?
  22. What are the laws regarding drug and alcohol use?


Global Affairs Canada >

Country‐specific travel and advisory reports, trade relationships, and other relevant information for Canadians travelling abroad. Also the site for the Registry of Canadians Abroad.

Global Edge >

A great resource for statistical, historical, economic, and political conditions for nearly every country around the world.

CIA World Factbook >

Detailed information on geography, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military and transnational issues.

BBC News Country Profiles >

Full profiles provide an instant guide to history, politics and economic background of countries and territories.

Centre for Intercultural Learning >

Provides country facts and cultural topics on countries of the world.

Culture Crossing >

A community built guide to cross-cultural etiquette & understanding.

Online Newspapers >

News websites from around the globe

Wikitravel >

A worldwide travel guide

World Photography Organization >

Showcases stories of fame, fashion, culture, sportsmanship, war, human devastation, celebration and environmental shifts.




A valid passport is required for travel outside of Canada – it is your official identification as a citizen of your country. Before departure, ensure that your passport is valid for at least six months after your planned date of return to Canada. Some countries won’t let you in if your passport is close to its expiry date. If you are a Canadian citizen and you need to apply for your first or a new passport, contact Passport Canada for the application forms and instructions.

Make copies: Always make copies of the photo identification page of your passport and any stamped pages before travel, so that you’re prepared in case your passport is lost or stolen abroad. Carry a copy with you and leave others with Humber Global and someone you trust at home. You may want to scan and e-mail a copy of each of your important documents to yourself so that they’re never misplaced.  

International students or Canadian permanent residents: be sure to carry your valid Study Permit, Canadian visa, and permanent resident card with you (as applicable). Check to make sure that your documents won’t expire while you are abroad, as this may prevent you from returning.


Certain countries require you to hold a visa as an entry requirement to cross their border. Common categories include student, tourist, work and business visas. At least three months before your departure check with your guest country’s nearest consular office to determine whether you need a visa for your travels. If you do, contact Humber Global for support to help guide you through the application process.



Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) is a free service offered by Global Affairs Canada that keeps you connected to Canada in case of an emergency abroad, such as an earthquake or civil unrest, or an emergency at home. 

It only takes a few minutes to complete the registration online, and all Canadian Humber students, faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to do so before leaving Canada. Have your passport and travel itinerary handy to answer the online questions about your trip.

If you’re not a Canadian Citizen, it’s recommended that you read Global Affairs Canada’s advice and check with your country's nearest consular office to determine if it has a similar registration program in place.




You are required to have travel health insurance for the time that you are abroad, including your travel dates to and from Canada. It is also your responsibility to obtain supplementary personal travel health and medical insurance, and to understand the terms and conditions of your insurance policy.

This is to ensure that you receive the best possible health care abroad in cases of accident or illness, and to protect you from financial burden. Out-of-country health care can be costly, and your health plan may not cover medical expenses abroad. Any medical expenses, or any other related costs not covered by this insurance while abroad or upon your return to Canada are also your responsibility.


If you take medication regularly (for blood pressure, allergies, anxiety/depression, etc.) you should pack an adequate supply, and ensure that the medicine will not expire while you are abroad. Resist the temptation to stop or decrease your medication during your trip because you’re suddenly feeling better. To avoid trouble at customs, keep your medication in its original packaging or a container that clearly show your name, the prescribing doctor’s name, and the prescription number. Do not try to save space by mixing different pills in one container. It’s also wise to travel with a copy of your prescription – including any prescription you may have for eyeglasses/contacts - so that you can place an order easily if needed.


Canadian students must normally be covered by their provincial government health plan (e.g., OHIP) in order for your supplementary travel health insurance policy to be valid. Since each province has different regulations regarding out-of-country coverage, you should check with OHIP, your provincial health plan, before departure.


Visit your family doctor or a travel health physician at least 2-3 months prior to departure to make sure that you’re in good health and to check whether you need any vaccines to protect you from illness abroad. Certain countries will require proof of immunization as a visa requirement for entry to their country – make sure that you check the entry requirements for your destination and carry a copy of your vaccination record with you while abroad. Keep in mind that some immunizations need to be administered over a period of weeks – do not leave this to the last minute.

Travel Health Physician >


You may be eligible for travel health insurance through Humber. Please contact for more details.


Travel Health and Safety >
Department of Foreign Affairs Canada: Important information and advice for all travelers 

OHIP and Traveling out of Country > 

Travel Health Clinics in Canada >
Find the closest travel health clinic to you. 

Health Canada’s Travel Medicine Program (TMP) >
Health advice for travellers including health hazard advisories and travel health recommendations. 

Public Health Agency of Canada (CHAC) >
Travel Health notices, fact sheets, information on immunizations and vaccines, and an e-mail listserv.

International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers (IAMAT) >

Protecting and improving the well-being of travellers with impartial health information and a worldwide network of English-speaking doctors.

Centers for Disease Control (CDC) >
Geographic health recommendations and a graphical travel map. 

International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers (IAMAT) >
Offers many useful publications including World Climate Charts, a Directory of Physicians, and a World Immunization Chart. Free membership. 

Travel Health Online >
Health advice for travellers including travel planning advice, information on risks and diseases, news and alerts, plus more. 

World Health Organization (WHO) >
Many useful publications including the guide “International Travel and Health 2012”. 


At least three weeks prior to departure, ensure that the following documents are submitted to Humber Global.

Humber Global


The HALO Registry (previously known as the Student Travel Registry) is mandatory and must be completed by each student participating in an approved Humber travel activity outside of Ontario. Student travel can take a number of forms including, but not limited, to an Academic Summer Program, Conference/Competition, Faculty-Led Trip, Internship/Work Placement, Semester Abroad and Varsity.

Please enter your information in the HALO registry as soon as you are able to, and at least 4 weeks in advance of your travel date. Information collected in the registry allows Humber to monitor student safety, mitigate travel risks, and provide assistance where feasible in cases of out-of-province emergency.

All questions and concerns regarding the HALO Registry can be sent to