Skip to content
  • Student making a request


Humber acknowledges that a student’s “preferred” first/middle and/or last name should be used whenever possible to ensure a supportive, healthy and welcoming academic and living environment.

Name Change Request Form

The name change request form can be accessed through MyHumber.

This form is intended to provide any student with a way to change their first/middle and/or last name as it appears on their student account. This name will be reflected on Humber systems (MyHumber, Blackboard, Hmail etc.) and on Humber documentation (e.g. transcripts, credentials and class lists).

Have Questions?

We’ve attempted to answer some of the frequently asked questions related to this topic (see below). If you have a question and would like to ask in confidence please contact:

Office of the Registrar:

LGBTQ+ Resource Centre:


Humber student systems (MyHumber, Blackboard and Hmail) will reflect the new first and/or middle name. This first and/or middle name will also be used on all Office of the Registrar documentation including transcripts, confirmation of enrolment (COE), confirmation of graduation (COG), and credentials (certificate, diploma, degree).

The change will not be reflected on any third party system (OSAP, WSIB, Second Career, etc.). Please contact the organization directly regarding their name change policies.

External institutions may not recognize or accept a first and/or middle name for legal purposes. These institutions include, but may not be limited to: OSAP, financial institutions, RESP providers, potential employers, other educational institutions, passports, police records check (required for some courses and/or placements), Revenue Canada and health insurance providers. It’s important to understand that inconsistency between the first name used by Humber and the name used by external organizations may cause unexpected difficulty and it is solely your responsibility to resolve such discrepancies.

If you are an employee at Humber (even work-study), you must contact Human Resources to advise them of any name changes.

Humber does not confirm the accuracy of any of the personal information provided by the applicant/student.

Students can change their first and/or middle name whenever they want via the request form. Keep in mind that government-issued photo ID is required for services such as Financial Aid/OSAP, Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC), etc.

As an international applicant, it is strongly recommended that the name on your Humber account matches your name as it appears on government-issued identification at the time of entry to Canada. This will help you avoid issues with obtaining/maintaining a valid study permit. Contact the International Centre for more information.

To avoid any confusion with another institution, the name on documents issued by Humber should match the name that you provide when applying to other institutions.

No, your new name will not be impacted by any program or campus change.

The first and/or middle name change request is held in a confidential manner and without prejudice. No student information is provided to any other individual without express consent from the student. However, completing this form changes your first name on Humber systems. This means staff and faculty will see your new first and/or middle name on class lists, transcripts, and any other Humber document.

Please be advised that Humber occasionally mails critical information to students’ mailing address on their record (e.g. photo ID cards, Collections notices, and convocation information). Ensure your preferred contact information is up-to-date via MyHumber.

Humber only keeps a permanent record of all previously used names for legal and record-keeping purposes. 

Once a student changes their first and/or middle name, that name would be used on Humber diplomas/credentials. If you are considering any first name change, we strongly encourage you to complete the request form BEFORE requesting any Humber documentation (e.g. credentials, transcripts, COEs, placement credential, etc.). This will ensure you have your new first name on these documents.

Staff/faculty should first contact Human Resources to have the Human Resources systems updated.

Staff/faculty should also fill out the request form to update the student systems, which are used for staff parking, any courses at Humber, etc.

To change your legal name, you must present government-issued photo ID to a representative in the Office of the Registrar. Once the documentation is provided, the change can be made.