Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


What type of screening for COVID should I complete prior to coming to campus?

If you have symptoms of illness or test positive for COVID-19, complete Ontario's Self-Assessment prior to coming onto Humber premises.  Follow the measures for self-isolation, self-monitoring and/or masking.


What should I do if I start having symptoms or test positive for COVID?

  • Please stay home if you are not well.
  • Any individual who is experiencing symptoms or has tested positive for COVID-19 is to take the Ontario’s self-assessment and to follow the recommended measures, including those for self-isolation, self-monitoring and masking.
  • Any individual who is already onsite and begins to exhibit symptoms is to leave the premises immediately, and follow the steps outlined above.
  • If ill and required to self-isolate, students and employees are to follow standard processes for notifying their professors or managers.
  • Students living in residence who are isolating as a result of COVID-19 must complete the Residence Isolation Reporting Form.
  • Employees who believe they have a campus-acquired case of COVID-19 are to notify Occupational Health and Safety at  


Do I need to have a negative COVID test before I return to work?

  • A negative COVID test is not required to return to in-person work.
  • Complete the self-isolation period recommended on Ontario’s self-assessment tool. In most cases, this allows you to end your self-isolation if you have no fever and your symptoms have been improving for at least 24 hours (48 hours for gastrointestinal symptoms).  You may have residual symptoms when you return to work. 
  • When your self-isolation is completed, whether you have symptoms or not, you are to wear a well-fitted mask in all public settings (including on campus) for 10 days from the start of your symptoms. These requirements are provided on the self-assessment tool.


Do I need to wear a mask at Humber?

  • As of November 16, 2022, in line with Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health’s recommendations, the College strongly encourages everyone to wear a mask while in public and indoor settings, including on college premises.
  • Humber is a mask-friendly environment; respect is mandatory. We ask that all community members respect the choice of others to wear or not wear a mask.
  • It is recommended that the mask worn should be a medical one (e.g., surgical, N95/KN95), or a three-layer cloth mask. Masks should be well-fitting and of high quality.
  • For those who have tested positive for COVID-19 or have COVID or other respiratory symptoms, public health recommendations include the use of a well-fitted mask in all public settings, including on campus, for a period of 10 days from the start of the illness.
  • Humber will continue to monitor and review all public health guidance and government directives for changes to mask requirements.


Will Humber continue to provide masks?

Humber will continue to make available medical masks at front service desks.  If they are a requirement of your job, your manager will provide you with masks.  Please discuss this with your manager.


As a supervisor, do I need to notify other employees if someone on my team has COVID-19?

Such disclosures are confidential; be diligent about protecting personal health information.  The employee who is positive can choose to share this information with those they may have been in close contact with.  All individuals should continue to be vigilant and continue to self-monitor for symptoms using the Ontario self-assessment tool.  If there is a possibility of onsite transmission, please notify Occupational Health and Safety at


I work part-time and do not have any sick leave benefits. If I get COVID and need to isolate, will I need to take a leave without pay?

For those without sick leave benefits, the college will pay up to 5 days of COVID sick pay during a period when an employee has to self-isolate due to public health requirements and they are unable to work from home (either due to being unwell or because their work duties cannot be done from home).  This is consistent with the province's Infectious Disease Emergency Leave requirements.  At Humber, the COVID sick pay will be in effect until April 30, 2023.  If you need further information, please talk to your manager about this.  


If I have health and safety concerns about working on campus or working remotely, who should I contact?

Please inform your manager of any health and safety concerns you have. Your safety is a top priority whether you are working on-campus or working from home. Your manager will respond to your concerns, and will consult with Occupational Health and Safety, if needed. In addition to talking to your manager about your concerns, you can also contact Occupational Health and Safety ( or the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee if you have any concerns.