Emergency #: 416-675-6622 ext. 4000
Laptops and Devices
Be aware: Laptops and other portable electronic devices can make life simpler but can be a target for thieves. In addition to the cost of replacement, personal information and data stored on these devices can be difficult or impossible to recover if lost. The Department of Public Safety strongly encourages you to follow the tips below to prevent being a victim of crime.
- Hide your valuables. Smart phones and other mobile devices can be a target for thieves. Keep them concealed when not in use.
- Never leave your laptop, cell phone or other devices unattended, even for a brief moment.
- Do not leave valuables in your locker.
- Keep doors and windows to your home or residence locked at all times.
- Back up your information.
- Use your laptop’s Universal Security Slot (USS) to attach a laptop lock that wraps around a desk or table.
- Consider carrying your laptop in a non-descript carrying case, briefcase or bag. Placing it in a case designed for computers is an immediate alert to thieves that you have a laptop.
- Avoid storing sensitive information like credit card numbers, social insurance numbers and other personal information on your device.
- If storing in your vehicle, leave your devices out of plain sight.