Emergency #: 416-675-6622 ext. 4000
Be Alert: Smart phones are very useful tool but they also attract attention. When using your personal devices, be sure to keep the following safety tips in mind:
Personal Safety Tips
- Smart phones and other mobile devices can be a target. Keep them concealed when not in use.
- If listening to music, consider keeping the volume at a low level so you can hear around you, or have only one earbud in. Consider using less flashy headphones or earbuds.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Know who and what is around you. Keep a safe distance from things people can hide behind.
- Remember it is your device. If someone asks to borrow your phone, you have the right to say no. If you really want to help, offer to make the call on their behalf instead of giving them the phone to use.
- Make wide turns when walking around corners so you can see what you’re walking into.
- Try and walk in large groups, particularly at night. If walking alone, use campus walk.
- Walk with confidence. Keep your head up and travel in well lit areas.
- If you feel threatened, make a scene, draw attention to yourself and head towards an area with people.
- If you carry a handbag with a shoulder strap, wear the strap across your chest
- Trust your instincts. If it doesn’t feel safe, it probably isn’t. Head in a different direction
- If you become a victim, don’t follow or argue. Contact Toronto Police immediately
- Make note of the suspect’s description and last direction of travel.