If you would like to file a formal complaint under the Code of Student Community Standards or discuss whether this matter is related to the Code, call us during business hours at (416) 675-6622 ext. 4357 or email us at oscs@humber.ca.   The Office of Student Community Standards manages complaints about the behaviour of students.  If you have a complaint about a staff member or instructor, you should speak with their direct supervisor (Program Coordinator, Associate Dean, Manager of the service, etc.).

If you are concerned about a student, or believe they may become a risk to themselves or the community, please contact the Student Intervention Coordinator during business hours at ext. 2102 or via email.

Please note that if there is an immediate risk of harm to self or others, or if it is an emergency, contact Public Safety at (416) 675-6622 ext. 4000.

Click here for more information on how to support students in distress