How can we help?

On this page you will find process related information & communications, helpful tips & tricks, FAQs and more. To get started, use the search box below to search for a topic you would like information on or simply select a category below, from the left navigation bar.

Learn how to perform an action within HRMS | Administrative Forms | HR Support Centre

Health Spending Account (HSA) for Full-time Administrative Employees

What is the Health Spending Account (HSA) for full-time administrative employees?

Full-time administrative employees who participate in the Extended Health Benefit Program have access to a Health Spending Account (HSA). The HSA is a special account for benefits that allows you to claim against credits for a variety of health-related expenses. An allotment of 1% of your annual salary is credited to your Health Spending Account (HSA) annually. It is NOT a taxable benefit.

What’s covered under the HSA?

  • The HSA covers the unpaid portion of prescription drugs, dental or paramedical services, and helps to fill coverage gaps. Examples include vision care, orthodontics, laser eye surgery, premiums for private health and dental, and charges by your physician for completing forms or letters.
  • If the expense qualifies as a medical, hospital or dental expense under the federal Income Tax Act, then it qualifies for payment under the HSA.
  • If you coordinate your benefits with your partner’s plan, the HSA can cover unpaid amounts (as eligible under your Sun Life plan).
  • For a complete list of eligible expenses, visit Sun Life’s HSA Coverage Summary.

What’s not covered under the HSA?

Any expenses that do not qualify as a medical, hospital or dental expense under the federal Income Tax Act. This includes:

  • Non-prescription medication
  • Fitness club fees
  • Home gym equipment
  • Books about health and wellness

Who is covered under the HSA?

  • Partners and dependent children, even if they are not covered under your regular benefits plan.
  • Extended family who qualify as eligible dependents according to the Income Tax Act, including aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.

How does it work?

  • 1% of your annual salary is credited to your HSA on January 1st of each year.  For example, if your annual salary is $100,000 you will get $1,000 worth of credits per year to spend on eligible expenses.
  • Claims can be submitted at any time during the benefit year (January 1st – December 31st).
  • Unused credits can be carried forward for one year to pay for expenses in the following year (Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) only permits one year of carryover).
    For example, if you have $1,000 credits in 2023 and do not use any of your 2023 allotment, in January 2024 your balance will be $2,000 of credits.
  • As per the CRA, carried-forward credits that are unused at the end of the second benefit year are forfeited.
  • You cannot withdraw credits for the cash value.
  • Claims can be submitted up to 90 days after the end of the benefit year.
  • Eligible employees who are new to the College will have access to their HSA upon completion of one month of continuous full-time employment.

How do I submit a claim?

Visit Sun Life’s Plan Member Services website and log into your account to view your HSA balance and a list of the types of expenses eligible under the HSA.
There are three ways to file a claim:

  1. Online through Plan Member Services 
    • Use this method if the expense type is on the drop-down menu and is under $1,000
    • Claim against your regular health and dental plan first, then your HSA
    • Keep receipts for 12 months
  2. Using the ‘my Sun Life’ Mobile app
    • Download the app and register for access
    • Select ‘Submit a claim’ and ‘Health Spending Account’ and follow the instructions
    • Keep receipts for 12 months
  3. By mail
    • Use the appropriate claim form(s) to submit a claim from the health or dental plan and HSA
    • Forms are available on the Plan Member Services website

Coordinating Benefits:

  • Submit eligible expenses to your health or dental benefits plan first
  • Claims can be automatically coordinated between your regular group plan and HSA
  • Claims can be automatically coordinated between your partner’s plan and/or your regular group plan and HSA if your partner’s plan is with Sun Life Financial
  • Attach original receipts or a claims statement from other insurer(s)

For questions related to your Sun Life benefits coverage, please contact Sun Life by visiting the Sun Life Contact Us page or by calling 1-800-361-6212.

If you have any other questions, please contact the HR Support Centre.