How to Onboard a New Employee
An offer must be created by the manager, approved and extended to the candidate by HR, accepted by the candidate, and HR has to move the candidate to the ‘Hire/HRIS’ step/status which processes their employee record within HRMS.
Once the employee record has been processed within HRMS, it will go to Banner to create a username (an ‘N’ number for new employees). Generating a username takes approximately 24 hours from when the above process steps are complete.
Once the username is generated, the candidate will receive an email with their Humber login credentials. The manager will receive an email that includes the new hire’s username which can then be used to complete the IT Onboarding Form. Please note delegates will not receive the email with the new hire’s username, so if your delegate is responsible for onboarding the new hire, please forward the email to them.
How to perform this action:
You must complete the items in the Onboarding Checklist, including completing the IT Onboarding Form for new employees:
Note: The IT Onboarding Form cannot be complete until the manager receives the email with the new hire’s username (generally an ‘N’ number). If the manager does not receive the email, the new hire’s username can be found in Outlook by following these steps:
1. In Outlook, on the Home tab, click ‘Address Book’
2. Type the employees name in the search function
3. When their name is highlighted, scroll to the right
4. Under the ‘Alias’ column, their username will be listed
Next steps in the process:
Once the candidate has accepted their offer, they will receive an email to access their onboarding process which is an informational process that includes information about Humber or the University of Guelph-Humber, benefits (if applicable), mandatory training, policies and collective agreements, and a checklist of important activities to complete on day 1 and within their first week and month.
Please support your new hire to ensure they have completed the following important tasks:
– Learn how to enter time cards (if required)
– Enroll in benefits (if required)
– Visit the IT Support Centre to request their employee I.D. card
– Register for mandatory training
Contact the HR Support Centre if you require support for this process:
– Call ext. 5001 or direct dial 416.675.5001
– Employee e-form at humber.ca/hrinquiry
– Webchat at humber.ca/hrchat