What does it mean to eDesignate your Beneficiaries?
When you eDesignate your Beneficiaries for group life insurance benefits, you are moving away from the offline beneficiary designation process that requires you to complete and submit a Benefits Enrolment Form, to an online process where you can quickly add, view and update your beneficiary designation.
To get started as an existing employee with active benefits, simply click here to learn how to add, view and update your beneficiary designation.
Note – As of November 30, 2020, if you had previously submitted your beneficiary information through the benefits enrolment form, this information has been added to your Sun Life account by your Compensation & Benefits Specialist.
If you are a new employee or have recently enrolled into your benefits, then please note that you will need to wait for your benefits to be active before you can perform this action. Your Compensation and Benefits Specialists will send you a communication once your benefits are active and advise you of next steps.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How do I register for a Sun Life account to eDesignate beneficiaries?
- Irrevocable vs. Contingent Beneficiary
- What happens when an irrevocable beneficiary passes away? Can the Plan Member change the beneficiary designation?
- What about a retiree that signed over a Power of Attorney? Will the designated POA be able to make changes to the beneficiary?
- Can I eDesignate or view my Beneficiary information via the Sun Life mobile app?
- Will Partial Load employees also be able to name beneficiaries?
- What about Partial Load employees that were rehired within the six-month window?
- Allocation %: will the digital tool handle decimal points?
- If an employee appoints a minor as the beneficiary, will the system prompt them to assign a trustee?
- How many primary and contingent beneficiaries can I enter?
- Is it mandatory for an employee to designate beneficiaries?
- If I have problems designating beneficiaries online, who should I contact to get support?
- Can I designate a beneficiary for an Optional Spousal Life benefit?
- Can retirees also find and manage their Beneficiary information online?
- Will I get a confirmation when my profile information is updated?
- Can I print a confirmation of my beneficiaries?
- Will the beneficiary designation appear on Coverage Summaries?
- Where can I see/edit my beneficiary information?